cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2008, 03:43 AM   #21
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

We lost a great Ute this evening. Fortunately it appears that President Monson also cheers for the good guys.

Last edited by ute4ever; 01-28-2008 at 04:19 AM.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:43 AM   #22
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Why do you say that? I feel like I know very little about him. I was just commenting to my wife that with GBH you really felt like what you saw was what you got. When he spoke you had a strong sense of the man. THM has such an extremely affected speaking style that I don't have that same sense.

Maybe that is the real him. I don't know. Does anyone have a sense of this?
A relative used to provide some of his medical care. She said that he was very interesting to listen to a he would immediately start telling stories and talking about things. At the same time, it was near impossible to have a conversation with him -- he wasn't too interested in back and forth conversation. There may be a contrast effect for us as Pres. Hinckley was much more personable and conversant than the average leader.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:46 AM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't pretend to know anything about Monson based on any real information or interaction. It would not surprise me to see some real depatures from GBH's path. The church has been in "holding" mode for many years now, and it is my sense that we will see some pretty big changes in the next 10 years. Ones that will require real sacrifice on the part of the Saints.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:51 AM   #24
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

President Monson has served alongside President Hinckley in the past three First Presidencies, spanning over 22 years. That is a long time for two individuals to be molded together into one voice.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:52 AM   #25
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I can't pretend to know anything about Monson based on any real information or interaction. It would not surprise me to see some real depatures from GBH's path. The church has been in "holding" mode for many years now, and it is my sense that we will see some pretty big changes in the next 10 years. Ones that will require real sacrifice on the part of the Saints.
On the lds.org website there is an article on President Hinckley's life and passing, and on the left hand side there is an article by President Monson for the First Presidency Message entitled, "The Master Bridge Builder." Obviously the article isn't about President Hinckley...but I think he has certainly helped build bridges between the Church and other people and organizations that didn't exist previous to his time as Prophet of the Church.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:55 AM   #26
danimal

Quote:
Along what lines?
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:00 AM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Along what lines?
From my humble vantage point, the greatest threat to the church is the members assimilation, via materialism, into Babylon.

I think the church really needs to recommit resources to strengthening congregations in the United States. Flagging convert baptisms in the USA is the result of neglect, and a lot of that neglect is due to wards running on shoe-string budgets. We may see the ward fabric change, we may see the way we worship and use our buildings change. We may see further financial commitments beyond tithing asked for.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:02 AM   #28
danimal

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/27/obi...ley/index.html

Small obituary on front page of cnn.com

Old 01-28-2008, 04:05 AM   #29
danimal

Quote:
From my humble vantage point, the greatest threat to the church is the members assimilation, via materialism, into Babylon.

I think the church really needs to recommit resources to strengthening congregations in the United States. Flagging convert baptisms in the USA is the result of neglect, and a lot of that neglect is due to wards running on shoe-string budgets. We may see the ward fabric change, we may see the way we worship and use our buildings change. We may see further financial commitments beyond tithing asked for.
I'm less inclined to think of further financial commitments or expanding building usage, but I agree that materialism is a huge problem. I'm always surprised when I visit Utah at how big and nice the houses are, how a large proportion of people drive nice cars, and too many people look like they came out of glamor shots.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:12 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/27/obi...ley/index.html

Small obituary on front page of cnn.com
Also on fox.com

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325890,00.html

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote