cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 01-31-2017, 03:15 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The weirdest thing about Trump

is that he is actually doing what he said he was going to do. And he is doing ALL of it at the same time.

We are not used to our politicians meaning what they say, much less carrying it all out without regard to media or opinion or what congress thinks.

At every step Trump has been underestimated.

"He's not serious."
"He won't win."
"He just says this to get attention."
"He'll move to the center in the general."
"He's going to be blown out by Hillary."
"He lost the debates."
"People voted for Trump on his meta-message, not on what they thought he would actually do."

And now Trump is doing exactly what he said he was going to do.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:16 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
is that he is actually doing what he said he was going to do. And he is doing ALL of it at the same time.

We are not used to our politicians meaning what they say, much less carrying it all out without regard to media or opinion or what congress thinks.

At every step Trump has been underestimated.

"He's not serious."
"He won't win."
"He just says this to get attention."
"He'll move to the center in the general."
"He's going to be blown out by Hillary."
"He lost the debates."
"People voted for Trump on his meta-message, not on what they thought he would actually do."

And now Trump is doing exactly what he said he was going to do.
I didn't believe he would do what he said he would. Count me in that group. That doesn't mean I'm happy about it, but one must admit a measure of respect for doing what he said he would.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Just look at history. Would be dictators and despots don't usually have any trouble doing exactly what they said they would do when they get to power. Nor do they usually keep their objectives a secret before assuming power. Next the travel restrictions turn into an attempt at a full blown ban on all Muslims followed by a national registry so we can keep tabs on them. He also said he wanted to restrict and punish the press and free speech. These are things he said during his campaigning. Most people didn't take him literally. But he seems to be a very linear, black and white, literal type person, so I think his first few days in office shows he will try to do everything he said, including all the crazy stuff. Buckle up if you care about civil liberties because he's not too big on those.

Last edited by BlueK; 02-01-2017 at 03:51 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Just look at history. Would be dictators and despots don't usually have any trouble doing exactly what they said they would do when they get to power. Nor do they usually keep their objectives a secret before assuming power. Next the travel restrictions turn into an attempt at a full blown ban on all Muslims followed by a national registry so we can keep tabs on them. He also said he wanted to restrict and punish the press and free speech. These are things he said during his campaigning. Most people didn't take him literally. But he seems to be a very linear, black and white, literal type person, so I think his first few days in office shows he will try to do everything he said, including all the crazy stuff. Buckle up if you care about civil liberties because he's not too big on those.
He's got a Nazi chief operative who has expressed suspicions of successful immigrants and who calls himself an economic nationalist. He's the guy behind last weekend's mess where U.S. permanent residents were expelled.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
BlueK

Then there's this chilling piece from CNN quoting his spokesperson KellyAnne Conway saying it's time for Trump to put in his own security and intelligence community. WTF?????

This isn't a joke, especially for a newly elected president who is doing exactly what he said he would do and who said some pretty outrageous things during his campaign.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/opinio...iat/index.html
Old 02-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #6
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
He's got a Nazi chief operative who has expressed suspicions of successful immigrants and who calls himself an economic nationalist. He's the guy behind last weekend's mess where U.S. permanent residents were expelled.
You mean Steve Bannon, his minister of propaganda?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
BlueK

Iran: You're now "on notice"

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/01/trump...on-notice.html

Hmm...I just read an article that explains that many of Trump's close advisors seem to be very anti-Iran in the same way Bush's were anti-Iraq. Clearly in the Bush administration he had folks around him who seemed to look for the opportunity to get into war with Iraq. I wonder how this will play out with Trump and Iran.

Last edited by BlueK; 02-01-2017 at 07:47 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
BlueK

Quote:
Iran: You're now "on notice"

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/01/trump...on-notice.html

Hmm...I just read an article that explains that many of Trump's close advisors seem to be very anti-Iran in the same way Bush's were anti-Iraq. Clearly in the Bush administration he had folks around him who seemed to look for the opportunity to get into war with Iraq. I wonder how this will play out with Trump and Iran.
The Trump connection to Russia is about to be investigated by the senate. I think something is about to unravel here. This probably wouldn't happen if Trump hadn't already said so many things about Putin and Russia that don't make any sense.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/14/politi...ons/index.html
Old 02-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #9
BlueK

Trump's new spokesman Stephen Miller:

"Our opponents, the media and the whole world will soon see as we begin to take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned."

The whole world will soon see? What does that mean?

Will not be questioned? What BS.

Good language to use to defend a fascist dictator, but not a president of the US.

Trump and his incompetent help is exactly as bad as I expected.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:31 AM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Trump's new spokesman Stephen Miller:

"Our opponents, the media and the whole world will soon see as we begin to take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned."

The whole world will soon see? What does that mean?

Will not be questioned? What BS.

Good language to use to defend a fascist dictator, but not a president of the US.

Trump and his incompetent help is exactly as bad as I expected.
I saw this analysis of Trump.

Trump is a rainmaker, not an operator. A business development guy, not a CEO.

He is an excellent marketer and sales guy. He has excelled in industries where deal making is the primary obstacle and operations and production are simple or non existent.

He has failed in every venture with any sort of product development or complex operations. And even in simpler operations he has only done OK.

In most production/operation heavy businesses he would be a very adept VP of business development or even a President, but would be a disaster as CEO.

Despite the name, the POTUS is the CEO of the country. He was built for the campaign trail, not for the Oval Office. Instead of acting like a CEO, he is acting like a ringmaster, trying to close a deal.