cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 07-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #41
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Dang, Team Bush screwed things up worse than anybody else had imagined! Unemployment's been worse than even the Obama team predicted!
Regardless of how at fault Bush may or may not be (one wonders how long that excuse will continue to be trotted out), it's impossible to argue that Obama's economic "stimulus" has been anything but a failure.

Last time I checked, politicians don't get a "pass" because things were worse than they expected. Bush certainly didn't.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #42
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Regardless of how at fault Bush may or may not be (one wonders how long that excuse will continue to be trotted out), it's impossible to argue that Obama's economic "stimulus" has been anything but a failure.

Last time I checked, politicians don't get a "pass" because things were worse than they expected. Bush certainly didn't.
Well if you're honest which nobody in the political debate arena is, then Bush will share the blame for a long, long time. Clinton deserves the blame for much of this. Why? He adopted if I recall correctly the subprime mortgage lending legislation which stimulated lenders to lend to those whom they wouldn't ordinarily make loans to. Bush deserves the blame for continuing this, and Obama's policies which promote such wackiness also deserve reproach.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #43
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

Really? Actually, I think it is impossible to argue it has been anything one way or the other, as the actual effect of the stimulus most certainly won't be known for a long time, likely years. There is no possible way you can substantiate a claim that it "has been anything but a failure" at this point in time.

And pointing out that Bush has a high degree of fault for our state of affairs isn't an "excuse" so much as a fact.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #44
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Really? Actually, I think it is impossible to argue it has been anything one way or the other, as the actual effect of the stimulus most certainly won't be known for a long time, likely years. There is no possible way you can substantiate a claim that it "has been anything but a failure" at this point in time.

And pointing out that Bush has a high degree of fault for our state of affairs isn't an "excuse" so much as a fact.
But they also fail to point out Clinton's role in the Subprime Market fiasco. It does seem to swing only one way. It's possible to argue that if one over-emphasizes the role of your predecessor, you can deflect attention from your own political failings. Every party does it, but arguing Obama won't fall prey to it, is again dishonest. He does and he will. He will not own up to his failures. It is political suicide to do so. But the electorate should hold the party which took such a tremendous risk liable for failure. They have already held the Republicans liable in ousting them and in failing to elect its party nominee.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #45
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
But they also fail to point out Clinton's role in the Subprime Market fiasco. It does seem to swing only one way. It's possible to argue that if one over-emphasizes the role of your predecessor, you can deflect attention from your own political failings. Every party does it, but arguing Obama won't fall prey to it, is again dishonest. He does and he will. He will not own up to his failures. It is political suicide to do so. But the electorate should hold the party which took such a tremendous risk liable for failure. They have already held the Republicans liable in ousting them and in failing to elect its party nominee.
I am not sure what you are arguing. If you are arguing that Obama's administration should be held liable if the stimulus proves to be a disaster, then I agree (and it will be). If it proves to be helpful, I would assume you agree that he should be given credit for it (and I don't think anyone will know if it helped or hurt for a long time, despite Tex's very premature and naive ramblings).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #46
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I am not sure what you are arguing. If you are arguing that Obama's administration should be held liable if the stimulus proves to be a disaster, then I agree (and it will be). If it proves to be helpful, I would assume you agree that he should be given credit for it (and I don't think anyone will know if it helped or hurt for a long time, despite Tex's very premature and naive ramblings).
I disagree on one point. Of course, this being economics, we won't "know" anything for certain, but with that caveat, or recognition in place, we should see if something so massive is having any corrective effect. What we can't "know" is what aspects of the current malaise are attributable to worldwide economic downturn, the collective failed policies of the past and or some misadventure by virtue of the failure of these policies.

If things continue to spiral downward, eventually the public will tire of his spin and there will be some liability heaped upon his administration. However, he appears to be a teflon man in that no blame sticks to him currently. Let's hope the teflon wears off.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #47
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Heh, I think the group guilty of premature and naive ramblings here is Obama's economic team.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #48
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Everything is now Obama's fault. Blaming the Bush administration is what pussies do.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #49
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Everything is now Obama's fault. Blaming the Bush administration is what pussies do.
Is this the same Il Padrin Yewt who blamed the Bush recession Clinton?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #50
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Is this the same Il Padrin Yewt who blamed the Bush recession Clinton?
Link?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote