cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 AM   #21
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Amen. The worst are the Funyun things that they put on the top. Green Bean Casserole truly is one of the most disgusting dishes in Western Cuisine. It's what you would give to a foreigner to freak them out.
French fried onions, cut green beans, a can of cream of mushroom soup, milk, soy sauce and pepper to taste. Creamy. crunchy, beany perfection in a casserole dish.

It's even better the next day, cold on a turkey sandwich with stuffing and yellow mustard. The soup and milk congeal a bit forming a savory green bean custard. Man I can't wait.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:11 AM   #22
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
It's even better the next day, cold on a turkey sandwich with stuffing and yellow mustard. The soup and milk congeal a bit forming a savory green bean custard. Man I can't wait.
You should cut the cold casserole into squares, bread it and deep fry it the next day. It couldn't possibly make it taste any worse. That's the kind of thing that would kill at the Wyo State Fair.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:17 AM   #23
landpoke

Quote:
You should cut the cold casserole into squares, bread it and deep fry it the next day. It couldn't possibly make it taste any worse. That's the kind of thing that would kill at the Wyo State Fair.
Green Bean Casserole is a delicate melody of tastes and textures. While I'm usually in favor of deep fat frying most anything, GBC is far too elegant for the fryer.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #24
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
13. Dessert: pies, pies and more pies.....pumpkin, peach, banana cream and coconut cream, and pecan are the usual faves, but I love all pies except the chocolate pudding crap. Any fruit pies are ok by me. Also, mince. Yum! truthfully, pumpkin is great, but not my first choice. I would rather have others first, but pumpkin is a must for T-Day.

Activities

15. Thanksgiving night ice cream: that night, we have root beer floats, sundaes, whatever you want. Lots of ice cream, toppings, etc.. tradition.

Can't wait. Only a few weeks away.
Pie, pie and more pie and then you go back for ice cream?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:39 AM   #25
landpoke

The other major menu item for clan landpoke is, surprise surprise, booze. It's become a competition between my dad, brother and me to see who can come up with the most interesting libation. Fall is a brown liquor season so it generally ends up being rare bourbon or scotch. This is in addition to the assorted wines pre and during dinner and the port, muscat and ice wine with dessert.

Post dinner scotch/bourbons and cigars are also part of the rotation.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:40 AM   #26
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jeff, have you ever smoked a whole turkey? I've smoked a turkey roast and it turned out pretty well. My MIL has an iron-grip over the T-Day menu, which is fine by me, but I do think I'll smoke a few Turkey breasts and undermine her whole operation.
My dad does a smoked turkey every thanksgiving. It is by far the best way to eat that bird. I love smoked turkey. You should definitely undermine the operation by smoking bird.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:42 AM   #27
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am not sure anyone in my wife's family would even eat a non-smoked turkey.
I think that my family is at this point.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:10 AM   #28
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Honestly, the thought of cooking that whole meal for my in-laws makes me feel tired and a little depressed. I think I'm bah-humbugging it through this Holiday season.

I did think of a fun Thanksgiving tradition my grandma had when she was a alive. She made these awesome Parker House rolls, and one year she accidentally baked her (used) band-aid into one of them. My aunt was the lucky recipient. It became a tradition to bake a band-aid into one roll from then on.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #29
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Last year I made a steak shepherd's pie
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:34 AM   #30
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My FIL doesn't like turkey. One of the best things we ever had was a rib roast with a Yorkshire pudding. Very decadent, however.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote