cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football

Old 12-13-2016, 12:31 AM   #31
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I tried asking him if BYU would let him run the triple option if he got hired. He said things never got that far.
If something this basic about his offensive philosophy never came up there is no way they talked about money. Besides, it's the boosters and donors who pay most of the football coach's salary anyway, and not the school. If they can't come up with enough for Coach Ken N., blame the fans. I just think Sitake is a better fit anyway just from a philosophy of what makes sense football-wise for the school. Maybe that's right or maybe it's wrong. But I think it turned out ok for the first year installing a new system. We'll see what happens in the bowl game.

I think we have a good idea of what would have happened in this bowl game if Hill hadn't gotten hurt: either BYU loses a close one or wins a close one. He didn't blow anyone out this year or win comfortably unless it was a bad team. If BYU with Mangum wins by a couple of TDs against a pretty good Wyoming team that beat Boise State, to whom we lost, then I think it's pretty certain that's better than what would have happened with Hill.

Last edited by BlueK; 12-13-2016 at 12:45 AM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #32
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Non-sports fans, which comprise the vast majority of the public are horrified at this thought.

We can argue money, but I think Coach N was a bad football fit for BYU and both sides realized it. No argument about him being a good fit culturally. It wasn't money. It was just like when Lavell figured it out in time to turn down the Detroit Lions. I hardly think he would have done better than Sitake has, and he would have been like a fish out of water running something other than the option. Triple option coaches are a unique breed. Can you think of a single example of one of those over the last 30 years who even tried to run something else after they became entrenched in it, or of a triple option coach who was successful running it outside of the service academies since the 1980s?
He said in his fireside talk that he was excited about the possibility of coaching at BYU because he can "use Taysom in our offense," i.e., Taysom would fit the triple option.