cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 03-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default The conference tournaments

The results of yesterday really could not have gone any better for BYU with the following teams all losing: Oklahoma State, Mississippi, Texas, Texas A&M, Illinois, Miami. A few more teams competing with BYU right now for inclusion and seeding will probably lose today.

OSU and Mississippi were on a little more solid ground than the others, especially OSU. Ole Miss' problem is they lost to a terrible team so they could fall all the way out. A lot of brackets still have Texas, but I think they're in more trouble than many think. They did lose to a good team yesterday. The problem is their sub .500 conference record (which adding in the game yesterday is now 8-11)Historically the committee hates taking those kinds of teams, but they have made exceptions.

Texas has a tough schedule, but the committee also likes to see a decent W/L percentage from those tough games. UT is now 3-12 against the top 50. It's nice they played that many top 50 teams, but only winning 3 of those 15 is a problem, and the perception is that many average teams might be able to sneak out 3 wins if they had 15 chances. NC State got in last year with somewhat similar types of numbers but theirs were a little better and they made an impressive run at the ACC tournament last year which helped put them over the top.

I'd say BYU is pretty safe to get in at this point.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Good.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Good.
The bubble carnage for today has already started. Teams we want to lose -- Purdue and Temple are both losing at halftime to bad teams.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish we could be in the Big 12. I wonder how we would do. Would we have a winning record in the Big 12 this year? I doubt it.

I really don't like the WCC at all. Conference play is boring. You have St. Mary's and Gonzaga and then everyone else that I don't care about. Only bad can happen in those games. Losses.

Imagine if we were in the Big 12, playing Kansas, Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, ISU, etc. It would be epic.

Hate this situation.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote