cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books

Old 09-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hmmm, polygamy going mainstream with the new TLC show

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...how.cnn?hpt=C2

I can't tell from the video whether there is a fundamentalist Mormon connection, but I assume there is.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Watched the show last night. Yes, they are fundamentalist Mormons, which the guy explained as the difference between Catholics and Protestants. So the dude was very clear to differentiate from mainstream LDS Mormonism.

The 2nd wife was actually raised as LDS. She is also the fattest one. And the one who wants to spend the least amount of time with the kids.

The dude is kind of annoying. Imagine Lebowski as a fundamentalist Mormon, and that's what he reminds me of. Annoying thinning, long hair. The kids are annoying too. Even though there house is nice and big, there is definitely the feel of Utah white trash going on here.

So I expect most of the season is going to be about the adjustment as the dude takes on wife #4, who is "in the lifestyle" and divorced, with a couple of kids. She's younger and hotter. By a fair margin.

It was actually kind of boring. One gets the impression that we are seeing their best side. Not that I blame them. If for some reason, I was roped into a reality show, I would try and present my best side as well.

I wonder if this show will have any cultural resonance. I saw one non-LDS friend on facebook posting about it. Typical (female) reaction was "No way I could do that!" There was no male reaction.

I'm pretty sure that I would go crazy if I were in the dude's shoes. I value my independence and alone-time too much. Being pulled by 4 wives and some 18 kids would probably be the end of me.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Utah police investigating.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...ex.html?hpt=C2

We live in a police state. It's sickening.

At least the Nazis in Texas had the fallback of underage wives, in order to take every single last children from every family.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
wuapinmon

wuapinmon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Watched the show last night. Yes, they are fundamentalist Mormons, which the guy explained as the difference between Catholics and Protestants. So the dude was very clear to differentiate from mainstream LDS Mormonism.

The 2nd wife was actually raised as LDS. She is also the fattest one. And the one who wants to spend the least amount of time with the kids.

The dude is kind of annoying. Imagine Lebowski as a fundamentalist Mormon, and that's what he reminds me of. Annoying thinning, long hair. The kids are annoying too. Even though there house is nice and big, there is definitely the feel of Utah white trash going on here.

So I expect most of the season is going to be about the adjustment as the dude takes on wife #4, who is "in the lifestyle" and divorced, with a couple of kids. She's younger and hotter. By a fair margin.

It was actually kind of boring. One gets the impression that we are seeing their best side. Not that I blame them. If for some reason, I was roped into a reality show, I would try and present my best side as well.

I wonder if this show will have any cultural resonance. I saw one non-LDS friend on facebook posting about it. Typical (female) reaction was "No way I could do that!" There was no male reaction.

I'm pretty sure that I would go crazy if I were in the dude's shoes. I value my independence and alone-time too much. Being pulled by 4 wives and some 18 kids would probably be the end of me.
So, Lebowski is white trash? I've never met him, but I've always imagined him as a root beer sommelier; like SeattleUte without the eloquent bombast.
wuapinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

No, not Lebowski the Utah County dude wasn't creative enough to come up with a better handle than "Lebowski".

Lebowski, the character in the movie. The dude.

Lebowski the Utah County guy, I have never met. I cannot comment on the white trash quotient with him.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
wuapinmon

wuapinmon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No, not Lebowski the Utah County dude wasn't creative enough to come up with a better handle than "Lebowski".

Lebowski, the character in the movie. The dude.

Lebowski the Utah County guy, I have never met. I cannot comment on the white trash quotient with him.
Ahh, I see the resemblance. How long before they do a shoe-shopping episode?
wuapinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I didn't see the 2nd episode. Someone on FB yesterday commented that they were in the same restaurant with him last night.