cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2008, 01:25 AM   #1
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Suck your mother, Queer.
he got mixed up...I think he ment pinche
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:51 AM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
he got mixed up...I think he ment pinche
Yeah that cracked me up.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
At this young tender age, I felt this national championship had established BYU as a power that would be reckoned with...forever. That we would get better and better players. It was not to be, and that 2-inch article presaged the nation's reaction.
Killed by the mormon induced insatiable appetite for acceptance and outside approval. Better to have just enjoyed the achievement rather than how you thought others would esteem the accomplishment.

"To thy own self be true and it shall follow as the day follows the nights, big hooters will await you."
----Ralph Waldo Goatnapper
Old 09-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm so grateful that I was able to watch that. Flashing "national champions" I think it was, in a ghetto graphic block-letters. Bosco limping around. So much at stake. All the build up with Bo Schembechler mouthing off. Barry Switzer whining and crying about BYU the whole season.

Thank you God, for making me a Mormon, a BYU fan, and letting me be alive and mentally cogent to take in 1984 and remember it til now.

When I die, I know "1984" will be on my lips before I slip away.
If Farrah wouldn't mine, I think Pac and I would love to spoon with you.

I was there Mike. I was only 12, but I was there in my Waymon Hamilton throwback jersey behind the north endzone at the Murph. I can still recall the excitement that shot through my veins when I saw Bobby Roscoe limping back onto the field. Koz's catch and the Pride of Beaver taking in that swing pass.

Good times.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
If Farrah wouldn't mine, I think Pac and I would love to spoon with you.
I'm in.

It was a magical night, and although I was a bit older (32), I was there as well, sitting mezzanine level near the end zone where Kelly Smith filled my bosom with rapture, giving rise to the mammary imagery that has pervaded Goat's and my writings ever since.

And yet, I knew the world would not appreciate the magnitude of the achievement to the same extent did those of us with spiritual eyes. I began to understand the gross disparity between the world's view, and our view, of BYU's place in the universe following the Miracle Bowl. I genuinely expected a bold front-page headline in the SF Chronicle's Sporting Green, if not its front page, telling the world about the greatest comeback since Abraham sired Isaac. But no, instead there was a two-sentence filler on page 6 that simply reported the score of the obcure bowl. I think it was next to another filler informing readers that "The Tasmanian Devil consumes three times its weight in insects daily."

I'm no longer angry that lesser spirits fail to acknowledge the greatness of BYU football, I pity them.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I entered rapture much earlier than expected that evening, cold as it was, in San Diego.

I had newly married and informed my spouse that my family was attending the game. She didn't understand my passion, but she attended, it was free after all, her father in law was paying. Again I am much younger than our elder statesman and was a child's groom.

We sat in the mezzanine level seating waiting for hot chocolate. I'd like to say I remember the game much, but even though I try other games stick out more in my memory.

Giff Nielsen's Cougs in the Tangerine Bowl sticks out more. But that game and the wonderful mess UW created by smacking OU, remain etched in my memory. I remember Michigan cheap shotting Robbie, and Kelly Smith the hero, but I don't remember too many plays for some reason. I wanted a bigger blow to Bo's ego, but 24-17 was good enough. Life was as it was always meant to be.

I do remember Michigan coming out and hearing the Michigan fight song, thinking, "Wow, BYU is really big time."

And Professor Hawkins, a former law professor at the University of Michigan, told us, "If you had told me, that BYU would ever play Michigan in a bowl game, I would have thought you were crazy."

"And if you had told me that BYU would be favored, then I would have known you were looney."

"But then again, if you had told me that Beehive Industry's finest apparel would have sported two piecers, I never would have believed you either."
Old 09-25-2008, 03:01 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm so grateful that I was able to watch that. Flashing "national champions" I think it was, in a ghetto graphic block-letters. Bosco limping around. So much at stake. All the build up with Bo Schembechler mouthing off. Barry Switzer whining and crying about BYU the whole season.

Thank you God, for making me a Mormon, a BYU fan, and letting me be alive and mentally cogent to take in 1984 and remember it til now.

When I die, I know "1984" will be on my lips before I slip away.
If it was such a big deal, why was there no mention of if by the Branch President in Catania, Italy? Surely there would have been some sort of directive from the Brethren in Salt Lake to spread the word, no?

My mission president didn't even talk about it and he was a tenured professor at BYU both before and after his time as MP.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:06 AM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
If it was such a big deal, why was there no mention of if by the Branch President in Catania, Italy? Surely there would have been some sort of directive from the Brethren in Salt Lake to spread the word, no?

My mission president didn't even talk about it and he was a tenured professor at BYU both before and after his time as MP.
It took 31 posts before Il Pad mentioned the Italy Catania mission. Not bad.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:09 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
It took 31 posts before Il Pad mentioned the Italy Catania mission. Not bad.
I would have responded sooner, but was unable to get to posting until a bit ago. Other things got in the way of being online.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:08 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I remember it like it was yesterday.