cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Valentinus1

Valentinus1 is on a distinguished road
Default Signaturi

Has anyone heard of this group? It was brought to my attention this week. Here is a link for a description:

http://www.zionsbest.com/signatur.html

-Teresa Moreno
Professor of Christian History and Ethics
Valentinus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinus1 View Post
Has anyone heard of this group? It was brought to my attention this week. Here is a link for a description:

http://www.zionsbest.com/signatur.html
It's not a term which has caught on. If it were coined in 2005 and not really known widely, I'd say the concept may live in some respects but the actual existence of a subgroup recognizing those defining characteristics is probably overstated.

Obviously many of those characteristics are desirable and the definer doesn't consider the label to be a positive description. To enjoy the LDS benefits one can isolate those aspects which are troublesome to the adherent and quietly shelve them until future date. But to live entirely on the fringe as this person suggests will deprive the adherent of the benefits which the culture may or may not have.

BTW, how's life?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I am their leader.

What is your question?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Gifted Fish

Gifted Fish is on a distinguished road

I didn't realize the author meant the term as being derogatory until I got down to the stuff about supporting the feminist/lesbian movement within the church. Seemed pretty reasonable to me, but never have heard the term.
Gifted Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Valentinus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's not a term which has caught on. If it were coined in 2005 and not really known widely, I'd say the concept may live in some respects but the actual existence of a subgroup recognizing those defining characteristics is probably overstated.

Obviously many of those characteristics are desirable and the definer doesn't consider the label to be a positive description. To enjoy the LDS benefits one can isolate those aspects which are troublesome to the adherent and quietly shelve them until future date. But to live entirely on the fringe as this person suggests will deprive the adherent of the benefits which the culture may or may not have.

BTW, how's life?
I understand what you are saying. It seems be more of a cultural enigma at best.

Life is good. It has bee far too chaotic the last few months. School became out of control with homework and projects. It really isn't easy to be a religious studies major.

Family life is good. Siblings are great. Mom has gone to church a few times and Dad went with her once. I guess that is some type of progress. I choose not to delve or become too involved with their spiritual circumstances.

I have bought an interesting book. It is titled "Good Without God" by Greg Eppstein (Humanism Chaplain of Harvard University). It has started out well. A professor recommended it to me.

How are things with you? How have things been on the board?

-Teresa Moreno
Old 01-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
Valentinus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes, I am their leader.

What is your question?
Thanks Mike.

-Teresa Moreno
Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Valentinus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Fish View Post
I didn't realize the author meant the term as being derogatory until I got down to the stuff about supporting the feminist/lesbian movement within the church. Seemed pretty reasonable to me, but never have heard the term.
I wasn't aware of a feminist/lesbian movement within the church? Please explain.

-Teresa Moreno
Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. It seems be more of a cultural enigma at best.

Life is good. It has bee far too chaotic the last few months. School became out of control with homework and projects. It really isn't easy to be a religious studies major.

Family life is good. Siblings are great. Mom has gone to church a few times and Dad went with her once. I guess that is some type of progress. I choose not to delve or become too involved with their spiritual circumstances.

I have bought an interesting book. It is titled "Good Without God" by Greg Eppstein (Humanism Chaplain of Harvard University). It has started out well. A professor recommended it to me.

How are things with you? How have things been on the board?
I will check that book out sometime. Humanism interests me but my initial impressions are, that it might help intellectuals and those inclined to be highly contemplative, but humanism as a guiding, social principle is less likely to be effective to imbuing society with useful social tools for harmony. It often lacks passion and warmth.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
Valentinus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I will check that book out sometime. Humanism interests me but my initial impressions are, that it might help intellectuals and those inclined to be highly contemplative, but humanism as a guiding, social principle is less likely to be effective to imbuing society with useful social tools for harmony. It often lacks passion and warmth.
I don't know enough about humanism and its place in society to have an actual opinion. I respect yours. I believe this book will enlighten me.

How has life been for you?

-Teresa Moreno
Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
I don't know enough about humanism and its place in society to have an actual opinion. I respect yours. I believe this book will enlighten me.

How has life been for you?
Overall, life is fulfilling. It is currently filled with challenges which often denotes change, but that will work itself beneficially as well.