cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
But the media will continue to report it as a fluke. Or a huge upset. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that that's part of TD's point. It doesn't matter if Wyoming upsets Tennesee or Alabama or Ohio State or even USC. Sure it will raise a couple of eyebrows if they do, but it's always going to be regarded as a shocker. The media's not going to issue a statement: "Oh, goshdarnit, we've been wrong all along. Turns out Wyoming really IS a significant program."
exactamundo.

Regardless of what BYU and Utah accomplish this season, you wait until next season's first rankings are released. It won't be favorable towards the MWC.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #22
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
exactamundo.

Regardless of what BYU and Utah accomplish this season, you wait until next season's first rankings are released. It won't be favorable towards the MWC.
Case in point: Maisel writes this long column yesterday about how thrilled he is that this year there won't be a BCS controversy. Nowhere in the article was there a mention of the undefeated team from out west.
Quote:
Texas Tech still must play at No. 6 Oklahoma. Alabama still has archrival Auburn and No. 5 Florida, which clinched the SEC East after its 42-14 victory over Vanderbilt on Saturday night. There is a chance the Red Raiders and the Crimson Tide will stumble. If that happens, the debate over the merits of any number of one-loss teams will begin.
But neither Texas Tech nor Alabama stumbled Saturday. Because of that, the national championship race is swimming-pool clear.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The media will care about non-BCS schools?

OK, FIL, whatever you say.

Go MWC! Get respect!
My scenario has not occurred. But let's say Utah had repeated going to three BCS bowls in a row and winning all three, the media would care.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

The media will never care about a non-BCS school. I've accepted it because it's how it is.

What bothers me more than anything is that the media perpetuates the lie that the BCS is about finding a true champion in Division I football.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My scenario has not occurred. But let's say Utah had repeated going to three BCS bowls in a row and winning all three, the media would care.
if Utah were to go 3 years in a row, then I would agree that the media would care.....for the following season. If Utah failed to advance the next season, then the interest would be gone. there is no margin for error nor benefits of the doubt during down years for non-BCS schools.

that is the big difference between the marquee BCS and non-BCS schools. If the non-BCS pick up a big win, it is a fluke. The very name "BCS Buster" denontes a lack of respect. If you have to "bust" in, it means you arent wanted to begin with.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #26
Archaea

Quote:
if Utah were to go 3 years in a row, then I would agree that the media would care.....for the following season. If Utah failed to advance the next season, then the interest would be gone. there is no margin for error nor benefits of the doubt during down years for non-BCS schools.

that is the big difference between the marquee BCS and non-BCS schools. If the non-BCS pick up a big win, it is a fluke. The very name "BCS Buster" denontes a lack of respect. If you have to "bust" in, it means you arent wanted to begin with.
at some point, I don't know when the nonBCS would demand respect. In a sense, ND is non BCS but it demands respect no matter how many horrible seasons it has. And I've lost count now. Wasn't Lou Holtz coach the last time it was embarrassed in a BCS bowl?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #27
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
There's a pretty good reason the media is biased toward ten or so schools: it's because those schools have spent sixty years justifying those biases. That doesn't mean there won't be aberrations, but it's going to take more than three BCS wins to make up for decades and decades of winning tradition.

And that's true for anybody outside of those top ten or twelve schools, not just the non-BCS teams. Look at Kansas: the media darling last year, but nowhere to be seen this year. Same will be true of Oklahoma State next year. And these guys can't use their conference as an excuse. It's just a matter of the perennial who's who in college football. The who's who command respect by default, and everybody else has to earn it anew every season.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #28
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
at some point, I don't know when the nonBCS would demand respect. In a sense, ND is non BCS but it demands respect no matter how many horrible seasons it has. And I've lost count now.
Eight modern-era titles, seven Heismans, and perhaps the biggest national following in college football will last you an awfully long time.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #29
Archaea

Quote:
There's a pretty good reason the media is biased toward ten or so schools: it's because those schools have spent sixty years justifying those biases. That doesn't mean there won't be aberrations, but it's going to take more than three BCS wins to make up for decades and decades of winning tradition.

And that's true for anybody outside of those top ten or twelve schools, not just the non-BCS teams. Look at Kansas: the media darling last year, but nowhere to be seen this year. Same will be true of Oklahoma State next year. And these guys can't use their conference as an excuse. It's just a matter of the perennial who's who in college football. The who's who command respect by default, and everybody else has to earn it anew every season.
That sounds reasonable.

And I know it sounds perhaps like a big homer job, but I believe BYU is on the cusp. If it can finish the season well and be involved in BCS discussions for the next of seasons, BYU could become one of those teams which has earned its way in.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #30
TripletDaddy

Quote:

Sister, you are preaching to the MoTab Choir.

I have been saying this all along. Nobody here wants to hear that, though. They want to talk about fairness. As I said before, the BCS is really about 3 or so schools from each BCS conference....the ones that, traditionally, have won the heismans, championships, etc..