cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #21
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I fail to see the distinction.
I see.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

After all the KKK is a private group as well. But it doesn't make their choices right or moral or ethical.

But I suppose there will always be people who give them a pass and say "It's a private group."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #23
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Who's more qualified for national office Palin or Kennedy?

Quote:
She has not held a full-time job in years, has not run for even the lowliest office, and has promoted such noncontroversial causes as patriotism, poetry and public service. Yet Caroline Kennedy’s decision to ask Gov. David A. Paterson to appoint her to Hillary Rodham Clinton’s Senate seat suggests that she believes she is as well prepared as anyone to serve as the next senator from New York — and is ready to throw her famously publicity-averse self into the challenge of winning back-to-back elections in 2010 and 2012.

Already, some columnists, bloggers and even potential colleagues in Congress have begun asking if she would be taken seriously if not for her surname. Representative Gary Ackerman, a Queens Democrat, told a radio host on Wednesday that he did not know what Ms. Kennedy’s qualifications were, “except that she has name recognition — but so does J. Lo
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/16/ny...er=rss&emc=rss
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I fail to see the distinction.
I've spent many hours myself, wondering why the church couldn't just run more like Washington.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I've spent many hours myself, wondering why the church couldn't just run more like Washington.
Power in the Mormon church parallels America's journey with power as well.

Tightly held in a small circle connected by familial ties for many decades, it has gradually decreased the nepotism.

I see it as a kind of "trusting the members" when they choose someone outside the Mormon royalty.

Look at my stake. Both the President and First Counselor come from heavily Mormon-connected families. Do the names Kimball and Romney ring a bell? When Cook came as a Seventy for stake conference, they joked around a bit because he and the SP are first cousins. Cook was named an apostle after this.

However in 2008, it is more likely than ever for an unrelated, "unconnected" Mormon to be an apostle. In my opinion.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #26
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Tightly held in a small circle connected by familial ties for many decades, it has gradually decreased the nepotism.

I see it as a kind of "trusting the members" when they choose someone outside the Mormon royalty.

Look at my stake. Both the President and First Counselor come from heavily Mormon-connected families. Do the names Kimball and Romney ring a bell? When Cook came as a Seventy for stake conference, they joked around a bit because he and the SP are first cousins. Cook was named an apostle after this.

However in 2008, it is more likely than ever for an unrelated, "unconnected" Mormon to be an apostle. In my opinion.
What's amazing to me is, how did God know Joseph and Hyrum were going to end up in the same family? There's no way that was planned.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #27
Travis Henry

Travis Henry is on a distinguished road

I saw Caroline Kennedy once while I was living in New York. I was just walking down the street and she walked past me. I then became a stalker, turned around and followed her to see if it was really her. She wasn't with anyone and she walked into a private school to pick up her kid. It was somewhere around Amsterdam and 72nd.

This experience wasn't as memorable as seeing Angelina Jolie. It was Fall of 2004 and it was around the time "Mr and Mrs. Smith" must have been filming, so Angelina was at the absolute Zenith of her hotness. I wasn't one who thought Angelina was hot before this encounter (couldn't get past her former goth phase), but she was the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in person in my lifetime. I was disappointed to see that she's recently turned into a skeleton when I watched "Wanted."
Travis Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #28
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Henry View Post
I saw Caroline Kennedy once while I was living in New York. I was just walking down the street and she walked past me. I then became a stalker, turned around and followed her to see if it was really her. She wasn't with anyone and she walked into a private school to pick up her kid. It was somewhere around Amsterdam and 72nd.

This experience wasn't as memorable as seeing Angelina Jolie. It was Fall of 2004 and it was around the time "Mr and Mrs. Smith" must have been filming, so Angelina was at the absolute Zenith of her hotness. I wasn't one who thought Angelina was hot before this encounter (couldn't get past her former goth phase), but she was the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in person in my lifetime. I was disappointed to see that she's recently turned into a skeleton when I watched "Wanted."
This post won't endear you to Waters.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #29
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:

My stake is almost always populated with Marriots and their progeny in the SP. Sometimes, they throw in a partner in a big firm, too.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote