cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two separate but parallel tracks of Mormonism

The fundamentalists, they felt charged to continue polygamy so that its practice would not be lost on earth. I think the people who orginally broke up did so in sincerity.

Here is my question, could we conceptualize God as actually having a purpose for these people. In other words, these people were actually following God's will. And the people who ex'ed them were also following God's will.

So as a followup, if polygamy for some reason was restored to the LDS church, what would happen to the polygamists? Would they be folded into the church should they want to rejoin? And would this serve any useful purpose.

Highly speculative and not likely to happen. But interesting thought experiment.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I have a hard time seeing the polygamists as a whole lining up to rejoin the LDS church upon the reinstitution of polygamy.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Personally, I have a hard time seeing the polygamists as a whole lining up to rejoin the LDS church upon the reinstitution of polygamy.
Just in case, I think we should hold a huge clothes drive for them. Sorry, homespun just doesn't do it for me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Just in case, I think we should hold a huge clothes drive for them. Sorry, homespun just doesn't do it for me.
And we should hire some modern hairstylists for them as well. This would definitely be a humanitarian and compassionate service rendered.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:16 AM   #5
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

After moving to South Jordan I've seen more polygamists in the past few months than I've seen in my whole life. The south end of the Salt Lake Valley is crawling with them. They girls/ladies stick out like a sore thumb - long hair in either braids or a bun, long plain dresses with long sleeves, very sturdy shoes. The boys/men are harder to spot. The men mostly work as dentists, businessmen, accountants, etc. and don't stand out - unless they're with their daughters or wife.

The wierdest thing is seeing two sister-wives shopping together. I always look at them and wonder which one is the senior wife. I usually guess that the older/more homely one is the senior wife and that the younger prettier one is the junior wife but you never can be sure.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote