cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2008, 01:58 AM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't believe that is correct. A team must be in the top 16 of the BCS standings to receive an automatic bid.

Edit: I didn't see your next post. I will try to go through that mess and see.
It looks like you are right, MRD. Unreal that as many as 3 BCS bowl teams may not be ranked in the top 16 of the BCS (the ACC, Big East and Pac 10 champ- if OSU wins out).

Crazy.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:23 AM   #12
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It looks like you are right, MRD. Unreal that as many as 3 BCS bowl teams may not be ranked in the top 16 of the BCS (the ACC, Big East and Pac 10 champ- if OSU wins out).

Crazy.
I think the only realistic situation for byu is that they beat Utah who also beats tcu... potato st loses and either the PAC-10, ACC or Big East don't have a champ in the top 16. You also have to hope that when byu beats Utah that they fall behind byu. This last could happen if Potato st loses its last game and mizzou or GA both lose thus Utah's fall isnt so drastic. If that happens you automatically go.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:38 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
junkie, walk me through the MWC tie breaker rules. I am too lazy to look them up.
3D, walk me through the Pac 10 tiebreaker. Is USC's future entirely in its own hands?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:39 AM   #14
SeattleUte

Quote:

Crazy.
If OSU wins out and is Rose Bowl bound it will be ranked.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-03-2008, 03:42 AM   #15
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
3D, walk me through the Pac 10 tiebreaker. Is USC's future entirely in its own hands?
absolutely no. SC needs help from all sides.

But I would guess that OSU will slip up somewhere. It has 3 or 4 more games. I can see them losing the Apple Cup, esp if the Huskies have zero wins to that point. The Huskies will be playing balls out that day to not go winless. Since OSU already lost to stanford, one more loss would eliminate them.

Even if they win the Pac 10, they arent ranked high enough yet to go to a BCS bowl, so SC would go as an at large, anyway.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:44 AM   #16
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
absolutely no. SC needs help from all sides.

But I would guess that OSU will slip up somewhere. It has 3 or 4 more games. I can see them losing the Apple Cup, esp if the Huskies have zero wins to that point. The Huskies will be playing balls out that day to not go winless. Since OSU already lost to stanford, one more loss would eliminate them.

Even if they win the Pac 10, they arent ranked high enough yet to go to a BCS bowl, so SC would go as an at large, anyway.
Are you deliberately mixing up OSU and WSU just to pretend arrogance?

—Paul Auster
Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 AM   #17
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Are you deliberately mixing up OSU and WSU just to pretend arrogance?
whoops, I meant Oregon. Same diff. they both play each other in the last week for their little state battle. I meant civil war, not apple cup. thanks.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #18
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
If OSU wins out and is Rose Bowl bound it will be ranked.
They may be ranked, but they won't be ranked in the top 16 (which is what I said).

OSU is currently "ranked" #31 in the AP and coaches and #39 in the Harris. That is a ton of ground to make up, especially given that they only have 4 games left (UCLA, Cal, @ AZ, Oregon). Cal is the only ranked team left on their schedule, so it won't be easy to impress voters, even with 4 wins. They will move up gradually, but there is almost 0.0% chance they will be in the top 16 of the BCS at season's end. The top 20 would be a huge stretch.

USC is going BCS regardless, barring a major upset on their schedule.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 AM   #19
TripletDaddy

Quote:
They may be ranked, but they won't be ranked in the top 16 (which is what I said).

OSU is currently "ranked" #31 in the AP and coaches and #39 in the Harris. That is a ton of ground to make up, especially given that they only have 4 games left (UCLA, Cal, @ AZ, Oregon). Cal is the only ranked team left on their schedule, so it won't be easy to impress voters, even with 4 wins. They will move up gradually, but there is almost 0.0% chance they will be in the top 16 of the BCS at season's end. The top 20 would be a huge stretch.

USC is going BCS regardless, barring a major upset on their schedule.
Correctamundo.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:10 AM   #20
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think BYU would match up very well against a Georgia, or even an Alabama (who I think is extraordinarily overrated and will get thumped by Florida in the SEC title game). The SEC is offense-lite this year. Their defenses are very good, and would limit BYU's points, but BYU would put up enough to be competitive.
Georgia could very well score 100 on us. Stafford is a first round NFL type of a guy. The QBs we have faced won't sniff an NFL roster and they have moved the ball at will. Wait. Maybe I misunderstood. You said "a Georgia or even a Alabama." If you meant Georgia Southern or Alabama State, I agree with you whole-heartedly.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote