cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney
Default Tomorrows Ride

I have tomorrow off from work and my wife has told me I can take what time I want for a ride, especially since I will be babysitting all day saturday.

So I am going to climb the only climb form my house that I have yet to do.

Up Big Pine Canyon:"The climb up Big Pine Canyon to the remnants of Glacier Lodge is almost exactly the same stats as le alpe d'Huez only with four thousand feet more base elevation. Starting elevation 3,940' finishing elevation 7,800'. The actual climb is 9 miles with an average grade of almost 8% (max is 11%0. There are extended portions of 9-10% ( 3,860' gain)." ( http://everestchallenge.com/ec11.htm )

This is going to be a pure sufferfest. But at least I will be able to look up at the mountains and know I have done it.

Thats right; Alpe d’Huez. I'm gonna die.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
I have tomorrow off from work and my wife has told me I can take what time I want for a ride, especially since I will be babysitting all day saturday.

So I am going to climb the only climb form my house that I have yet to do.

Up Big Pine Canyon:"The climb up Big Pine Canyon to the remnants of Glacier Lodge is almost exactly the same stats as le alpe d'Huez only with four thousand feet more base elevation. Starting elevation 3,940' finishing elevation 7,800'. The actual climb is 9 miles with an average grade of almost 8% (max is 11%0. There are extended portions of 9-10% ( 3,860' gain)." ( http://everestchallenge.com/ec11.htm )

This is going to be a pure sufferfest. But at least I will be able to look up at the mountains and know I have done it.

Thats right; Alpe d’Huez. I'm gonna die.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...-pine/60195017

I don't see many breaks along the way.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...-pine/60195017

I don't see many breaks along the way.
That was it and no there were not many breaks at all.

Got started later than I would have wanted adn didn't hit the road till 8:45 so ti was kind of hot as the climb is exposed the whole way.

Felt good for the first 15 minutes, was cranking along around 11 mph which seemed good, then I had no more. Had to drop down to granny gear or one close to it and spin at 7 mph. That continued though a steep stretch till around mile 4.5 just after the only swithcback. This was 30minutes in. Then I was just dead. Went into ultra granny and suffered through the 11% portions at 5-6 mph. I am not a climber.

Finally at 8.2 it flattened out a bit and the ride up to mile 10 the finish just wasn't that bad.
Took me 1:28 to get up; 17 minutes to get down with a max speed of 48 on the decent.

Climbing sucks.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a good ride. I didn't look up the link, but I've got some friends who have done that Everest challenge and they say it is one of the hardest things they have ever done.

Nice work. Beats my 30 minutes on the trainer yesterday morning.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Impressive ride BP.

Btw bGoose, should it bother me that I look pretty much like your avatar now, at the beginning of winter? (an no, I am not going to reposnd ot the how much do you weigh thread, as I choose to retain plausible deniability.)
Old 08-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
That was it and no there were not many breaks at all.

Got started later than I would have wanted adn didn't hit the road till 8:45 so ti was kind of hot as the climb is exposed the whole way.

Felt good for the first 15 minutes, was cranking along around 11 mph which seemed good, then I had no more. Had to drop down to granny gear or one close to it and spin at 7 mph. That continued though a steep stretch till around mile 4.5 just after the only swithcback. This was 30minutes in. Then I was just dead. Went into ultra granny and suffered through the 11% portions at 5-6 mph. I am not a climber.

Finally at 8.2 it flattened out a bit and the ride up to mile 10 the finish just wasn't that bad.
Took me 1:28 to get up; 17 minutes to get down with a max speed of 48 on the decent.

Climbing sucks.
I am so jealous. I wish I were there you lucky mec.