cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2023, 04:29 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jewish high school cross country runner - Shabat - ESPN

https://www.espn.com/high-school/sto...r-ferber-faith

I thought this was an interesting article. In part because it cuts against Mormon norms, i.e. Sunday is sacred, and Saturday should be the day to do sports.

Of course for some other religious (Judaism, Seventh Day Adventists), Saturday is sacred. I guess there aren't all that many observant Jewish athletes out there, because you rarely hear such stories.

I just googled the story I was trying to think of. Sandy Koufax. But that is not nearly as impressive. Refusing to play on a Jewish holiday. Sure it was a big deal, but it's not as big a deal as taking one day every week off the table.

Googled this story:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/s...h-sabbath.html

Kid wants to be in the MLB but be observant. So in the article it's saying he's trying to be a catcher, because catchers are often not everyday players in the MLB. More googling just now, looked like he played at Wake Forest for one year, and only played in one game. Now is at Fullerton College and is batting .224. A kid can dream though.

I was banned for 3 days for posting the ESPN article due to me being banned from posting anything with a religious bent.

The dominant culture wants to pick the winners and losers. It's not all about Sunday for everyone.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote