cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #61
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Who needs inspiration more?
1- The drug addict, lying, cheating, wife beating scum bag that just hit rock bottom with a shot gun in his mouth.
2- A <insert whatever> trying to live life good fellow with a life altering decision before him.

Both have equal and valid needs for help. Why do "we" continue to cling to the notion of a petty, easily irritated, score keeping asshole of a God?

It's so last testament.
God is a really nice guy.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #62
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
1- The drug addict, lying, cheating, wife beating scum bag that just hit rock bottom with a shot gun in his mouth.
2- A <insert whatever> trying to live life good fellow with a life altering decision before him.

Both have equal and valid needs for help. Why do "we" continue to cling to the notion of a petty, easily irritated, score keeping asshole of a God?

It's so last testament.
I've said it before and I will say it again. You must have been an awesome seminary teacher. And I mean that sincerely.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #63
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Give me an example of something that would drive the spirit away. I don't believe there is anything except one's self turning away from it or not seeking it. And the act of turning to the spirit and seeking it, immediately brings it.
I would say our own sinful behavior often shows pride, rebellion, and other traits that cause ourselves to stop looking to God. If we don't look to him we're not going to hear what he says. I think I'm closer to your view on this, but I have personally felt the Spirit back away when I've done something I shouldn't have. Maybe it just feels like that when it's my own behavior that is causing me to drift away.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #64
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

It's so last testament.
They both need help, it's just a matter of how able a lying, cheating, wife-beating, drug-addicted scumbag is of being able to sense the divine.

Can he get a moment of clarity when he isn't lying, cheating, beating his wife or using drugs that he needs to turn his life around and that God is extending his arms of love around him? Absolutely, particularly if he initiates the contact (not that that's an absolute prerequisite).

The problem is that when someone is so burdened with these problems they don't allow room in their lives for God and his influence.

Is it easier for that person to sense the divine than someone who already has a lot of those items removed from their lives and whose mind is more or less continually mindful of what they should be doing and seeking guidance from the Lord; someone who has the Gift of the Holy Ghost and doesn't live their lives in a way that would offend the companionship of the Spirit? Do I seriously have to answer that question?

Last edited by Indy Coug; 08-22-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #65
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
They both need help, it's just a matter of how able a lying, cheating, wife-beating, drug-addicted scumbag is of being able to sense the divine.

Can he get a moment of clarity when he isn't lying, cheating, beating his wife or using drugs that he needs to turn his life around and that God is extending his arms of love around him? Absolutely, particularly if he initiates the contact (not that that's an absolute prerequisite).

The problem is that when someone is so burdened with these problems they don't allow room in their lives for God and his influence.

Is it easier for that person to sense the divine than someone who already has a lot of those items removed from their lives and whose mind is more or less continually mindful of what they should be doing and seeking guidance from the Lord; someone who has the Gift of the Holy Ghost and doesn't live their lives that would offend the companionship of the Spirit? Do I seriously have to answer that question?
what if he is on the road to Damascus?

Paul is a wonderful example of someone doing the most evil thing imaginable (killing the prophets, essentially), and suddenly God intervenes though there is no rationale for why Paul "deserved" this revelation.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #66
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

14 And they did humble themselves even in the depths of humility; and they did cry mightily to God; yea, even all the day long did they cry unto their God that he would deliver them out of their afflictions.
15 And now the Lord was slow to hear their cry because of their iniquities;

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/mosiah/21/14

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:27 PM   #67
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what if he is on the road to Damascus?

Paul is a wonderful example of someone doing the most evil thing imaginable (killing the prophets, essentially), and suddenly God intervenes though there is no rationale for why Paul "deserved" this revelation.
I think I already allowed for that possibility. While on the road to Damascus, I don't believe Paul was concurrently involved with killing somebody.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 08-22-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #68
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I would say our own sinful behavior often shows pride, rebellion, and other traits that cause ourselves to stop looking to God. If we don't look to him we're not going to hear what he says. I think I'm closer to your view on this, but I have personally felt the Spirit back away when I've done something I shouldn't have. Maybe it just feels like that when it's my own behavior that is causing me to drift away.

Correct. God doesn't close the communication down. We do. Spirit backing away might have been the exact communication you needed, by the way. In that instance where you felt the Spirit back away, do you think you were still capable of receiving revelation if you needed it?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 PM   #69
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
14 And they did humble themselves even in the depths of humility; and they did cry mightily to God; yea, even all the day long did they cry unto their God that he would deliver them out of their afflictions.
15 And now the Lord was slow to hear their cry because of their iniquities;

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/mosiah/21/14
Not granting someone a blessing they're not ready for is apples and oranges to not giving a sinner revelation or inspiration in moment of need.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #70
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

Is it easier for that person to sense the divine than someone who already has a lot of those items removed from their lives and whose mind is more or less continually mindful of what they should be doing and seeking guidance from the Lord; someone who has the Gift of the Holy Ghost and doesn't live their lives in a way that would offend the companionship of the Spirit? Do I seriously have to answer that question?
We're not talking about one's ability to sense the divine. That's a skill that is developed over a lifetime for many. It's also a gift of God that some have in more abundance than others, no matter other factors such as experience, worthiness, or church affiliation.

We're talking about whether or not God can communicate with that wife beating alcoholic bum with a gun in his mouth. I can't imagine anyone with any real world experience clamining God can't or doesn't in that scenario.