cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2008, 03:35 AM   #51
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I wore a Black Celebration shirt to 9th grade once and caught hell. Never wore it again.
Did you grow up west of State Street?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:00 AM   #52
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
i remember those hats. the French foreign legion ones?
Those are the ones.

Quote:
what else am I missing, children of the 80s?
Most of my metal days were in the 5th grade so that would have been 1984ish and before. metallica carried with me though through all my phases of the 80's including, The Smiths -Greatest band ever, and my straight edge days of the late 80's(fugazi, Minor Threat, Face to Face, inside out).

I never was into the glam rock stuff as that came in junior high and I had moved on to those other phases. Metallica lost me after and justice for all. Orion is still my favorite instrumental of all time and is a great song to make home made surfing videos to.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:00 AM   #53
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i remember those hats. the French foreign legion ones?

Some distinct metal iconography from the 80s that I remember in jr high and HS:

1. Iron Mainden t shirts...anything with Eddie on it
2. One particular Accept t shirt...said "Balls to the Wall" and had a pic of a hand putting two round balls against a brick wall
3. Def Leppard sleeveless Union Jack t shirts
4. Hard core metal guys wore Ozzy t shirts...esp Diary of a Madman
5. metal chicks that would wear those Tonto leather moccasins that went about halfway up their calves.
6. metal chicks would also wear these skin tight jeans with this zipper that went all the way from front to back. hard to explain, impossible to forget
7. younger metal dudes (esp the skinny ones) would wear the parachute pants, always tight....lots of zippers.
8. sleeveless mesh shirts
9. A Krokus t shirt that said "If It's Too Loud" on one side, and "You're Too Old" on the other
10. Speaking of t shirts, a t shirt that said "Yngwie Who?" on one side, and "Yngwie F***ing Malmsteen" on the other....only the word was not edited.
11. Velcro wallets with band logos on them
12. denim jackets with patches, esp lined with faux lambs wool
13. brush in back pocket (not to be confused with the nerdy RUSH fans, who had the black plastic comb in back pocket, played Dungeons and Dragons at lunch, etc...)

what else am I missing, children of the 80s?
That's a pretty good list. The T shirts I most remember are Metallica Ride the Lightning and Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Posters were big. Eddie posters were rad, my friend had all of them. Also bikini posters - Paulina Poriskova (sp?) was my fave.

Don't forget the ladies though. I remember first year of middle school seeing these hot 9th grade metal chicks with big hair and spandex shorts.

Of course, don't forget mullets. We didn't call them that back then, but just about every guy had one in one stage or another, and not just the rocker dudes. I kept mine until 1990 - I didn't cut the back, I just grew the front.