cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WHy are Disney TV films so popular?

This was inspired by the thread on bands that are inexpilcably popular.

A very popular musical event that I cannot comprehend is the recent Disney TV movie called "High School Musical" If any of you have a television with cable and children (esp. girls) over 10 years old I am sure you know what I am talking about. It is a cookie-cutter Disney movie about (what else) misunderstood young lovers in a high school who really want to sing and dance together but are unable to do so for various reasons (peer pressure, dunderheaded parents, etc). In other words, it is essentially the same insipid plot that Disney has been re-packaging and peddling to kids for 30+ years.

Here's what I don't get: It is AMAZINGLY popular (at least in our area). My 13 yo daughter has had two parties with gobs of firends centered around watching the silly thing when it is broadcast (even though we had already recorded it) and Disney put it on the air in a Karaoke version. Even the boys in the area (including my 8 yo, due to his sister's influence) are crazy about this thing. My daughter is going to another party this Friday. Why do kids like this crap?

I think it is a triumph of marketing and branding over talent and quality. I have given this same rant to my wife and she just rolls her eyes and ignores me (which is pretty much how fathers are treated in many disney films .. hmmmm).

(Disney must know its market; my 17 yo wants nothing to do with it)
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

They grow out of it. My 11 year old thinks Disney movies are it, and my 15 year old just walks out of the room if they are turned on.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote