cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brokeback Mountain (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I believe someone on this site predicted that it would be nominated for an Academy Award. Whoever it was, was spot on.

My question: if it wasn't about a homosexual relationship, would it have been nominated?

My guess is that it wouldn't have received a nomination, as the gay agenda is Hollywood's latest societal cause du jour.
Come on. That's not fair. It wouldn't even be the same story. If Romeo and Juliet were both boys, the feud between the Montagues and the Capulates would not be the whole source of the tension in their relationship--indeed, it might be beside the point--the conflict in the play would be of a completely different character, and it would not be the same play, for better or worse.

If the relationship in Brokeback Mountain were between a man and a woman it would be a story about marriage, and maybe about marital infidelity. Apples and oranges.

If Don Corleone were a dry cleaner with no mob connections would the Godfather have been as beloved?
I'd say it is fair. cougjunkie points out that most movies nominated for an Oscar are controversial which is stated better than how I asked the question. I'd be curious to know the last film nominated for Best Picture that was something that was entirely family friendly - that is, lacking in violence, adult themes, foul language, etc.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but isn't this entire film based on an affair involving two persons who are married to others? Sounds like marital infidelity to me.

I do agree that The Godfather would not have been as popular had Corleone been a law abiding citizen. I admit that I enjoyed it, but moreso after having served a mission in Sicily, as I was able to understand a lot more of what was going on. (BTW, the subtitles in the film weren't quite as accurate as what was really being said, which is a good thing. ) I won't allow my kids to see The Godfather until they're old enough to deal with it, as they don't need to be exposed to the graphic violence.

Now I'm rambling. Sorry 'bout that. In fact, I most likely didn't even back up my original point. Of course, insomnia does have a part in it. There I go, digressing yet again......

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:43 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

what about Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy? Didn't one of those win best oscar picture?

It's funny how some people are completely unwilling to entertain the idea that it might be a good film (not talking to anyone in particular, and I must note that I have not seen the film, and have no particular basis to say whether it is quality or not).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

One of my lesbian co-workers jokingly asked me the other day if I'd seen the movie yet. I said "no" and was about to explain why when she said "I haven't either, gay sex just grosses me out." I thought it was hilarious that she gave the exact same reasoning I was going to give.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:52 PM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
what about Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy? Didn't one of those win best oscar picture?

It's funny how some people are completely unwilling to entertain the idea that it might be a good film (not talking to anyone in particular, and I must note that I have not seen the film, and have no particular basis to say whether it is quality or not).
I can agree with that. I'm certainly that way. However, I'm just curious what the criteria is for a movie to be nominated for Best Picture. It seems that if it isn't "mainstream", it is nominated, with a few exceptions here and there. Of course, what Hollywood considers mainstream is usually quite different than what middle America considers as mainstream.

As for one of the LOTR films, I have no idea if any won best picture. I do know that the Acadmey completely snubbed Strange Brew, which should give us the idea that they have no idea what quality entertainment is.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote