cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Farrah doesn't play any games with me, because all previous games have almost ended in divorce, and before marriage, almost ended in breakup.
Having met the two of you, I can't say this is surprising.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I still play Settlers of Catan with you, as long as there is at least one other person present to keep me from strangling you.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #13
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I still play Settlers of Catan with you, as long as there is at least one other person present to keep me from strangling you.
Great!! Settlers -- one of my favorites.

Alternatively, could we just strangle him together?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the topic, it might be the case that BoM historicity is not only in the hospital, it is in the ICU, but it isn't dead yet.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Back to the topic.
<sheepish> sorry.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
<sheepish> sorry.
Returning to the interesting topic at hand, I love Settlers too. I lived in Berlin for a summer in the early years of this decade, and played a game called Die Sielder von Catan, created by a man named Klaus Teuber. I loved it instantly. Came home and saw that there was an English version. Let's just say my parents have a table permanantly set up, and when we walk in the door, before the "hellos" and "good to see yous," they ask, "want to play on the four-man or six-man board?" Totally agree on the marriage-destruction litmus test for game quality. If there is any truth in that test, Settlers is mindblowingly good. I've slept many nights on the couch over that game; it was worth it every time.

Talk about rabbit holes, but I'm sure you're all aware of the online version of the game . . .
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Back to the topic, it might be the case that BoM historicity is not only in the hospital, it is in the ICU, but it isn't dead yet.
Why does the discovery of a complex civilization in one part of South America place doubt on the historicity of the book of mormon? Is it necessary that the BofM capture the entirety of the peoples who lived in the New World? Discard the idea of general geography, and accept the idea of limited geography, and that solves it, right? Mormon simply engaged in Nephite exceptionalism and exaggerated the scope and intensity of his people's culture and history. Not that I accept any of this, but I'm trying to understand the connection between the discovery of extensive Amazonion civilizations and BofM historicity being hooked up to a drip IV?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

BoM historicity's problems have nothing to do with the Amazonian discoveries, and if anything, might be bolstered by it.

BoM historicity is problematic because, essentially, there is almost zero evidence in support of it.

1. evidence of semitic ancestry
2. evidence of Jewish/Chrisitian religion
3. evidence of language that coincides with 'reformed Egyptian' or the Anthon Transcript.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #19
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Totally agree on the marriage-destruction litmus test for game quality. If there is any truth in that test, Settlers is mindblowingly good. I've slept many nights on the couch over that game; it was worth it every time.
Absolutely. We've gone for days without speaking. Have you seen the collectors edition? They have one set up at our gaming store. It's 3-D and costs four hundred dollars. The owner said they've actually sold two of them. wow. I mean, I like the game, but jeez.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
BoM historicity's problems have nothing to do with the Amazonian discoveries, and if anything, might be bolstered by it.

BoM historicity is problematic because, essentially, there is almost zero evidence in support of it.

1. evidence of semitic ancestry
2. evidence of Jewish/Chrisitian religion
3. evidence of language that coincides with 'reformed Egyptian' or the Anthon Transcript.
Well, a learned person just knows it's not historic. You go to the Middle East Paroah's construction projects still stand, there are people who call themselves Egyptians, Jews and Syrians, we see Greek ruins. But the most conclusive evidence against historicity is inside the text itself.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote