cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The physical world processes are miraculous to behold, and the First Cause behind is also a miracle.
Agreed.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:19 AM   #12
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
One man's scientific explanation is another's miracle. It is possible for both perceptions to be true.
Interesting. So what is your definition of a miracle? Is it purely dependent on its perception? Maybe a miracle is just an event that induces faith in God because it breaks natural law as it is commonly understood. Thus, a miracle in one time is not a miracle in another.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:22 AM   #13
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It would seem that you don't believe in miracles; however, just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean they don't happen. One man's scientific explanation is another's miracle. It is possible for both perceptions to be true.
But how can both perceptions be true? A lot of this will depend on your definition of "miracle" (see this Onion article for a funny example), but from the standpoint of a singular event that wouldn't have occurred without divine intervention, it seems that something is either a miracle or a natural process, not both.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:25 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Interesting. So what is your definition of a miracle? Is it purely dependent on its perception? Maybe a miracle is just an event that induces faith in God because it breaks natural law as it is commonly understood. Thus, a miracle in one time is not a miracle in another.
If one does not understand anything about meteorology, rain for crops would be a miracle; I'm no scientist, but I understand enough that when cold and warm air collide, we get rain.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:26 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
But how can both perceptions be true? A lot of this will depend on your definition of "miracle" (see this Onion article for a funny example), but from the standpoint of a singular event that wouldn't have occurred without divine intervention, it seems that something is either a miracle or a natural process, not both.
See my response to ERCougar.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:30 AM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
My definition of a miracle is something that occurs for which I can't explain or even understand. And it can/does induce faith in God.

A rather simple definition, it is. But I think a lot of folks think of miracles as larger events occurring - a parting of the Red Sea kind of big. They don't have to be that big.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #17
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My definition of a miracle is something that occurs for which I can't explain or even understand. And it can/does induce faith in God.

A rather simple definition, it is. But I think a lot of folks think of miracles as larger events occurring - a parting of the Red Sea kind of big. They don't have to be that big.
I'll have to think about that definition for a while. I kind of like it for the moment.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:40 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I'll have to think about that definition for a while. I kind of like it for the moment.
It's always worked for me.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:43 AM   #19
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:

So you accept that a miracle is anything that you personally don't understand, and that supernatural forces aren't necessarily at play? If so, I accept that there are lots of miracles, but it seems to do violence to the usefulness of the word. We already have words that mean something like "mystery."
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:48 AM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
So you accept that a miracle is anything that you personally don't understand, and that supernatural forces aren't necessarily at play? If so, I accept that there are lots of miracles, but it seems to do violence to the usefulness of the word. We already have words that mean something like "mystery."
Yes, a miracle can be exactly that. As I said, I believe that miracles don't have to be big events, but small ones as well.

I don't think it destroys the usefulness of the word, as a miracle to me doesn't necessarily need to be a miracle to you. I believe miracles are more personal than mysterious.

I hope that makes sense.