cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 09:45 PM   #11
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
bad but not enough to merit attempted murder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jena_Six
So how bad is bad enough to charge someone with attempted murder? Where do you draw that line?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
So how bad is bad enough to charge someone with attempted murder? Where do you draw that line?
ask one of the lawyers on the board. but he seems to be recovering quite well.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:08 AM   #13
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In my state the specific intent to kill the victim must be shown and this must be coupled with evidence of some overt but ineffectual act in furtherance of this purpose.

Mere use of a deadly weapon, standing alone, is not enough. Specific intent is intent in fact, though it may be inferred from all the circumstances.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #14
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
In my state the specific intent to kill the victim must be shown and this must be coupled with evidence of some overt but ineffectual act in furtherance of this purpose.

Mere use of a deadly weapon, standing alone, is not enough. Specific intent is intent in fact, though it may be inferred from all the circumstances.
thank you, it's pretty clear there were racist motives in charging the boys with murder for a jumping.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:50 PM   #15
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why were the students who hung ...

the nooses not tried for a hate crime ...and not merely suspended for three days but the entire year?

Their so called prank incited rioting, fights ensued, race relations are now more severly strained.

It is societal racism on the part of the community, school administrators etc. to react with such harsh indictments against those involved in the fight and not to have taken harsher measures, such as severe santioning, against those who incited the hate!

Access to justice is NOT equal in this instance. Whether or not you like Jackson and Sharpton, that is why they are there.

Last edited by tooblue; 09-25-2007 at 05:53 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:31 AM   #16
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Just in case MindfulCoug doesn't get a chance to post in this thread, I want to emphatically state that this sort of thing never happens in Iran.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan

Last edited by non sequitur; 09-26-2007 at 01:12 AM.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:01 AM   #17
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thank you, it's pretty clear there were racist motives in charging the boys with murder for a jumping.
I guess I don't know about the circumstances enough. For example, the length of the beating, the words that were said during coupled with the mechanics of the beating could all add up to attempted murder. Not saying that do here but it isn't obvious to me that it isn't based on what I know. Maybe you can fill me in on some of the details.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:29 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Just in case MindfulCoug doesn't get a chance to post in this thread, I want to emphatically state that this sort of thing never happens in Iran.

Very, very good.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:45 AM   #19
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/20...six/index.html

Every time I start to forget how racist Sharpton and Jackson are, they stick their noses into something like this and I remember.

Were the white kids extremely racist? Hell yes. Did they do something extremely despicable? Hell yes. Did that warrant a 6 on 1 "fight"? No way.

What lessons are these parents and leaders teaching their children? Responding to racism with violence is okay? Martin Luther King, Jr. would be disappointed to see the lack of progress some areas of the country have made to this point in history.
joli- you can read on this blog http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2007/0...remacist-rage/, and from the comments that a lot of other people are upset about this too

Quote:
Attempted murder for a school fight? Are you kidding me? I've seen them growing up and nobody ever got anything more than a suspension. These charges are ridiculous.
i remember a fight at my high school (a gang banger one) where a kid got jumped by 5 dudes and has his back broken, no attempted murder charges there

-- Ken Loach

Last edited by Frank Ryan; 09-26-2007 at 03:04 AM. Reason: left out the link for joli
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote