cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #21
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
btw, if I hadn't grown to "trust" what homeboy has to say, I would say that this story regarding the RS pres was made up. Incredible. How did your wife respond to the RS pres when she was told she "doesn't speak to Jesus; she's only the seceratry"? I can't imagine someone even thinking something like that, let alone stating it out loud directly to someone.
I swear I am not making this up. Go to CP for more details.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue
Here is the key statement to your dilema ...

Quote:
Church is not a place where goods and services should be promoted. If she persists in bucking authority to promote these goods and services, then the unpleasant due falls upon the lines of authority, ultimately, the bishop. You or your wife may have no choice.
Firstly the hand book of instruction is very clear on this subject ... the promotion of goods and or services is not to be promoted by church leaders or within the construct of Ward leadership ... refering to the hand book will always quell all disputation.

Secondly, whenever I am presented with a scenario wherein a leader other than the Stake President states that he/she has spoken to a GA and recieved support for their particular agenda or brand of the gospel I in turn very bluntly state that such instruction was not given to me therefore it is not relevant to me or my respective stewardship. Furthermore if such instruction was delivered at say conference then I demand proof of such council ... LDS.org exists for many reasons.
Fortunately, the "I spoke with the GA..." line of argument hasn't worked too well for her yet.

Yes, quoting the handbook is a good idea.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #23
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Sadly I have a pretty downer story to tell in regards to Homeboy's original post:

I was dating a wonderful girl for a long time. About 18 months. When we first met her mom had already been diagnosed with melanoma, but they'd received the news that it had spread to her brain.

Instead of going the medicine and treatment route that most do, her mom became literally obsessed like no one I've ever seen with the alternative medicine route.

They were being gouged hand over fist by numerous "Quacks" throughout the Utah valley and several out of the state that they'd never even met who were doing the same for "potions, pills," and all kinds of crap.

Instead of trying to get better, she was convinced that she would be healed by going on incredibly dramatic diets, coffee enema's, you name it,,,the whole kit 'n' kaboodle.

It got to the point of her beliefs that she and most of her family I might add became irrationally hostile towards Doctors and real medicine. They became enraged at the mere mention of going the advanced treatment route like chemo and other things. One time my ex-fiance/girlfriend and I got into a lengthy debate about the effects of reality versus alternative and she got major emotional about it. She had asked my opinion one night one of her own pretty bad medical problems with endometriosis and wanted to use these snake charmers...and that's how our debate began.

Since it was their family and her mom, I backed off and while quietly not agreeing with anything about how they went on with her treatment, I verbally and outwardly supported her and the family to the best of my ability.

Her mom eventually passed away last April. Now, while it's true that her mom may have passed away regardless, I for the life of me just couldn't understand their approach, and now more than ever I'm very anti- Witch Doctors who conveniently show up with a massively expensive therapy.

The husband, who is a Professor at BYU and a great guy, is now saddled with debt so high from those treatments that it's scary.

These snake charmers are criminals.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #24
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Sadly I have a pretty downer story to tell in regards to Homeboy's original post:

I was dating a wonderful girl for a long time. About 18 months. When we first met her mom had already been diagnosed with melanoma, but they'd received the news that it had spread to her brain.

Instead of going the medicine and treatment route that most do, her mom became literally obsessed like no one I've ever seen with the alternative medicine route.

They were being gouged hand over fist by numerous "Quacks" throughout the Utah valley and several out of the state that they'd never even met who were doing the same for "potions, pills," and all kinds of crap.

Instead of trying to get better, she was convinced that she would be healed by going on incredibly dramatic diets, coffee enema's, you name it,,,the whole kit 'n' kaboodle.

It got to the point of her beliefs that she and most of her family I might add became irrationally hostile towards Doctors and real medicine. They became enraged at the mere mention of going the advanced treatment route like chemo and other things. One time my ex-fiance/girlfriend and I got into a lengthy debate about the effects of reality versus alternative and she got major emotional about it. She had asked my opinion one night one of her own pretty bad medical problems with endometriosis and wanted to use these snake charmers...and that's how our debate began.

Since it was their family and her mom, I backed off and while quietly not agreeing with anything about how they went on with her treatment, I verbally and outwardly supported her and the family to the best of my ability.

Her mom eventually passed away last April. Now, while it's true that her mom may have passed away regardless, I for the life of me just couldn't understand their approach, and now more than ever I'm very anti- Witch Doctors who conveniently show up with a massively expensive therapy.

The husband, who is a Professor at BYU and a great guy, is now saddled with debt so high from those treatments that it's scary.

Do you let the coffee cool down before you take the coffee enema?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #25
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Never had one, but I'm sure there are some on CB that probably need one. :lol:
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #26
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I hadn't considered that, jay -- thanks for the suggestion. Reminds me of when one of my comps got an ear infection and this sister told him to take a cockroach and cook fry it up in grease, then funnel the grease into his ear. He did it. But, of course, this was Mexico.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #27
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa

Wow. Sorry to hear that. My niece's mother-in-law did the same thing. Once she was diagnosed with cancer, she started up herbal treatments and refused to see an oncologist. Died within a year. Like you say, she may have died anyway, but it was sad to watch.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #28
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Rocky, that is definitely an unfortunate story about your girlfriends mom.

I agree that it is criminal of some of these people. You stated that it was criminal for them to gouge them in the pocketbooks.

I think the bigger issue is the incredibly irresponsible quality of "medicine" they practice. And I use the term medicine very loosely here.

Not to bag too much on Utah, but I know of 2 cases in Utah where the person was diagnosed with cancer, and they chose to forego traditional cancer treatment (ie. chemo, radiation) in favor of alternative treatment. Both, unfortunately, did not respond to "treatment" and died prematurely. Very sad and very frustrating - not only that these practicioners would prey on some these people , but also that people tend to believe them.

I have issues here and am definitely understating how strongly I feel on the subject.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:27 AM   #29
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

too bad we are not in brazil.. They would just go out side grab some root and make you some tea. They wont tell you whats in it but just trust them it for headache/diaherrea/vomiting/