cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I asked the same of my dad a while back. He couldn't come up with anything either. Then he started forwarding me links to crap blogs/articles. These anti-gay-marriage LDS are desperate for some good material in their defense but the best they can come up with is stuff from people like the noted homophobe Orson Scott Card. And he is a HUGE step up from the other morons.

I'm not getting forwarded emails from my extended family anymore attacking gay marriage. After I "replied all" and sent out some rebuttals.

I think for most LDS that are anti-gay-marriage, it is gut level aversion and disgust towards gay sex. "We don't have to articulate a position or argument, because it's OBVIOUS that it is DISGUSTING and EVIL." I think that is a nice summation of a lot of people's arguments, even if they are unable to consciously realize it.
I agree that the anti's cannot articulate a coherent, logical reason for opposing Prop 8. We saw here yesterday the same old conjecturing....gay marriage may destroy us, it will cause our kids to become gay, etc...all baseless rhetoric that amounts to little more than scaremongering.

However, I do respect the fact that some folks are simply opposed because this is what the Prophet has asked us all to do. There is honor to be found in humble obedience. While I personally feel like sitting this one out, I do not condemn those who obey out of love for the Prophet. It is when they start busting out junk studies of heterosexual marrige in Norway that my spidey senses start tingling.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote