cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Harry Potter spoilers

Sorry I'm not a Harry Potter guy.

So give me the rundown. Who dies and all that?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

everyone but the 3 main characters. A lot of build up but none of the 3 main characters die, although they lead you to believe that Harry has died.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

According to the linked excerpts I saw on Cougarboard, Voldemort dies and Harry marries someone named Ginny or something like that. I've only seen movies #1, #2 and #5 and that's only because of my oldest daughter.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

harry is the archetypical messianic character.

In the end, everyone gets married, has lots of babies, and lives happily ever after.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

As I understand it, it's kind of like the Matrix...Harry has to die to save everyone else.

But then he's not really dead.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

The series a financial success, artistically is disappointing.

The author has the ability to weave an interesting story, but no ability to develop characters. The characters are all flat, and tell us nothing about ourselves or human nature.

She has a winning prescription for popularity, but failed to follow it up. The Harry you read about in the first book is the same Harry you find in the silly Epilogue in the last book.

Books One through Seven deal with an ordinary lad, who ends up having magical abilities of a wizard. He comes from a family that died but had links to the magical world. It traces his "education" in England at a school for witches and wizards.

There is a necessary conflict of good and evil. The pictures created by the author are vivid.

Each Book deals with each year in school up to Seventeen.

The bad guy is really bad with no redeeming features and the good people are mostly good with not much bad. Nobody, but nobody save perhaps some minor characters progresses.

All the characters are flat. Perhaps children can find richness in a repetitive story, but for adults, it's a little ride on the ferris wheel, but after you've got your feet on the ground, you think, "Geeze, she started out great but fizzled in the end. Here was a person who could have hit a home run, but made it big time on a smile and personal popularity."

At the end, a disappointment. Pop fiction will never know good literature.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The author has the ability to weave an interesting story, but no ability to develop characters. The characters are all flat, and tell us nothing about ourselves or human nature.
I agree with you in general about the flatness of the characters (particularly Harry). However, I thought she did a good job with Dumbledore. It is a pretty rich portrait by the end. Since Dumbledore is the clear Father in Harry's life I thought the discovery of the Father's flaws and failings but ultimate goodness was an important development and one the echos the development into adulthood that we all must cross.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I agree with you in general about the flatness of the characters (particularly Harry). However, I thought she did a good job with Dumbledore. It is a pretty rich portrait by the end. Since Dumbledore is the clear Father in Harry's life I thought the discovery of the Father's flaws and failings but ultimate goodness was an important development and one the echos the development into adulthood that we all must cross.
There is discovery, but it's more like a discovery one gets where the entire murder scene is explained in thirty seconds.

We should have been explaining and discovering his weaknesses and past through all seven books not in a few chapters at house or through Rita's writings.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
There is discovery, but it's more like a discovery one gets where the entire murder scene is explained in thirty seconds.
LOL, there some truth to that description. I mean who has time for gradual self-discovery when there is another horrocrux to find?
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

After a few more have time to finish, and now that we have the whole story, I'd be interested in discussing the moral messages implicit in the series.

I was disappointed in the character conclusion only because at the height of the series she had given the impression there would be more of a dynamic growth in Harry, Draco, Snape, and others. While in the end we discovered the truth about each person's true character, there was no real change or growth.

Also, to me it seems ironic that while Lily's great gift to her son was the gift of her love, Harry himself showed almost no capacity to love throughout the series.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote