cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for my good friend funk

There was a time, before BYU beat TCU in Fort Worth, where you liked to say how amazed you were with the love of BYU fans for Bronco Mendenhall despite the fact that Bronco had not ever done a thing.

Do you now understand?

When suckitude is assumed to be in the rear view mirror and the one we can convince ourselves is solely responsible for the suckitude is getting smaller in that rear view mirror as we move forward, it is real easy to love someone who has never done a thing to justify the love.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
There was a time, before BYU beat TCU in Fort Worth, where you liked to say how amazed you were with the love of BYU fans for Bronco Mendenhall despite the fact that Bronco had not ever done a thing.

Do you now understand?

When suckitude is assumed to be in the rear view mirror and the one we can convince ourselves is solely responsible for the suckitude is getting smaller in that rear view mirror as we move forward, it is real easy to love someone who has never done a thing to justify the love.
Apparantly this fellow is amazing. Utenation has already started cutting down the nets for their championship next year.

That and unlike Meyer he plans to stay in Utah for the rest of his life, he said so.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:31 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Apparantly this fellow is amazing. Utenation has already started cutting down the nets for their championship next year.

That and unlike Meyer he plans to stay in Utah for the rest of his life, he said so.
Also unlike Meyer, there is sincerity in his delivery. Also, unlike Meyer, Boylen told his players he was leaving, not staying.

Will Boylen be at Utah for a while? Time will tell. I'm just happy it's no longer Crowton Giacoletti at the helm.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:

Do you now understand?

I did say that and when I said it I meant it as a complement to BM. He had really rallied the fanbase without doing anything. Boylen is obviously the same way with the Utes right now. Here is hoping that he does things to back up his talk. His press conference was very impressive.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I did say that and when I said it I meant it as a complement to BM. He had really rallied the fanbase without doing anything. Boylen is obviously the same way with the Utes right now. Here is hoping that he does things to back up his talk. His press conference was very impressive.
I think firing up a fanbase must be one of the easiest things for a coach to do. Especially a fanbase moist with anticipation that a return to its rightfull glorious perch decreed by the Creator to be theirs. Honestly, he was 66% there by not being Giacolletti. He finished it up by uttering such earth shattering phrases as tough players win. Most coaches, even Giacoletti, believe and know that. The key is being able to imbue that toughness on players. That is where Giacolletti and Crowton failed. I do think Boylen will do pretty well, however. I am just not sure if publicly saying what every coach knows qualifies the man as legendary quite yet.

The point that I agree with you is that there might not be a more gullible fan base than the Utah or BYU. But I must admit that my sample size is similar to Rick Majerus' defense.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The point that I agree with you is that there might not be a more gullible fan base than the Utah or BYU. But I must admit that my sample size is similar to Rick Majerus' defense.
For the most part, we Utes and Cougars are cut from the same cloth. We're also dumb enough to think that we're what we're not - big time programs. It must be because of that good ol' Wasatch Front air - the air during the inversions that is contaminated with all the pollutants from the SUV driving folks that hate Mother Earth, including and especially me.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote