cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
And given that #2 laid such a big egg, why is it that essentially NO ONE said a whisper about Lee's disappearing act vs. Xavier and instead went after a guy that was infinitely more productive than Lee was?
Because going into the game, everyone knew that Xavier's weakness was in covering the bigs. Their fans explicitly said this.

Their tallest guy was like 6'6 or 6'7". It was incumbent on BYU to be able to take advantage of this with their talented 5. Well that talented 5 couldn't take advantage, and frankly looked incompetent and lost. And also did a terrible closeout at the end which led to Xavier's go ahead bucket.

No one is shocked that the small guys on Xavier dominated against our guards.

So Trent's egg was more disappointing than Cummard's.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Look I think Plaisted has underachieved his first two years and I don't think that he'll get much better. But his size, athleticism and vertical is potential enough for some. I am sure many pro teams feel they can coach the rest. Though I agree with you that I don't know that he'll respond to it as he hasn't yet.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
While you're busy asking, why did Cummard have 0 pts 0 rebs 0 steals, 0 blocks and 0 assists with 2 minutes to go in the game?
This officially gives me an opportunity to hijack this thread. I like Cummard and I think he is a really good player. I would trade anyone on the Utes team, except Nevill, for Cummard without thinking twice.

That being said I light of his NCAA tournament performance, I would like to say I was right about Alex Jensen being a better player as a sophomore. At the end of the year, Alex Jensen was one of the key components on a final four team. Cummard choked in a manner that allowed his team to get beat in the first round, against a team that based on seeding, BYU should have beat.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Interesting that the Mormon players who served missions did better than those who didn't (with the exception of Rose).

God doesn't bless non-mission basketball players.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:33 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
This officially gives me an opportunity to hijack this thread. I like Cummard and I think he is a really good player. I would trade anyone on the Utes team, except Nevill, for Cummard without thinking twice.

That being said I light of his NCAA tournament performance, I would like to say I was right about Alex Jensen being a better player as a sophomore. At the end of the year, Alex Jensen was one of the key components on a final four team. Cummard choked in a manner that allowed his team to get beat in the first round, against a team that based on seeding, BYU should have beat.
Cummard choked when it mattered most. But I still like him and believe he will improve. I'm not certain Peanut Head Plaisted will. Anybody with a 48.9 percent free throw shooting especially in light of his obvious athleticism has something whacko upstairs.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post

I'm guessing you didn't watch the game. How many times did you see the Cougs play this year?

I wouldn't exactly say he choked. Cummard hasn't asserted himself offensively on a consistent basis. He had 5 points on 2/4 shooting. He nearly won the game himself in the last minute hitting a huge three, and putting in an amazing put back on a rebound he came from the opposite side of the court. He did get in foul trouble and had his minutes limited, but Rose was on fire that game and deserved to take some of his minutes. That's what happens to role players sometimes. Cummard was third team MWC this year. What was Jensen as a sophomore?

Funk, you're not an idiot, but I don't think you're qualified to comment on BYU sports with as much authority as you do.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #17
jay santos

P.S. I take exception to Waters' rankings 1. Keena, 2. Lee, 3. Trent. Trent was a go-to guy. Lee was a role player and a key perimeter defender on this team. If you rank on how important they were to the team, Trent was definitely #2.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm ranking them in terms of "who is the best basketball player".
Old 03-27-2007, 07:34 PM   #19
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm ranking them in terms of "who is the best basketball player".
It's tough to evaluate Lee because, offensively, he was probably the 6th option after Keena, Trent, Rose, Ainge, JT. You can't say he choked just because he didn't score a lot. And defensively the lay man fan has a difficult time evaluating how successful he was in a given game.