cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goose and Steel and Creek

Shasta Century, any fun?

Any takers? http://www.shastasummitcentury.com/
Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

It's on a Sunday which probably precludes the goose and I from riding so close to the home wards. It is supposed to be a great century though. I think the one you would most enjoy around these parts is the Tour of the Unknown Coast. It's supposed to be one of the most difficult in California (goose has done it) and seems perfect for someone who seems to love pain as much as you do.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
It's on a Sunday which probably precludes the goose and I from riding so close to the home wards. It is supposed to be a great century though. I think the one you would most enjoy around these parts is the Tour of the Unknown Coast. It's supposed to be one of the most difficult in California (goose has done it) and seems perfect for someone who seems to love pain as much as you do.
That fact also precludes my particiaption. Pain precludes my particiaption in the lost coast century. There is a 10k on a downhill stretch of road near my house that I might be enticed to try, as long as there is a tailwind.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I was thinking about it, solely because it was near you riding legends. Geeze, some of you guys are so Judaic about your Sabbath observance.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I was thinking about it, solely because it was near you riding legends. Geeze, some of you guys are so Judaic about your Sabbath observance.
For me it's more a matter of asking someone to do my current work for me while I'm out playing. If I didn't have a calling that required someone to fill in for me I'd probably do this one with you. I figure 90% attendance is still an A- right?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I've heard its a great century. The scenery is incredible up in the area. Its also at elevation, so it should keep the temps a little more moderate - you know like 95 deg instead of 115 in Redding.

I believe it is in conjuction with the Mt Shasta Hill Climb on the previous saturday, which is something I would like to do. Its a 14 mile race to the top and then a screaming downhill. For me, it wouldn't be much of a race, but more just a suffer-fest.

But Steels right - forget about that, pack your bags and your bike and head up to the tour of the unknown coast this weekend.

www.tuccycle.org

Its about 10,000 feet of climbing, most of which is after mile 84, so it is brutal. We should have about 6 guys going with our group, and could always use more. Temps are supposed to be about 60ish in the afternoon. Should be a great ride.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
Archaea

It says it's this weekend. Is that true?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #8
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It says it's this weekend. Is that true?
Yep, this saturday.

Come on Arch, be spontaneous. You've done crazier things. Plus, our strongest rider just had a friend pass away and will be out of town this weekend, so we need someone to pull us up them thar hills.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 PM   #9
Archaea

I am a very, very ordinary climber. Rollers and straights are another matter. Well maybe not. Ordinary is my description of myself.

But, it would be fun. Let me talk it around. I haven't been a hundred though for several months, not since Feb or Jan.

What is the average gradient?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
bluegoose

3 major climbs at the TUC. Panther Gap(mile 40) is about 7 miles at 8-10%. The Wall(mile 84) is 1 mile at 18-22%, followed by 1 mile of 12%, and The Endless hills (Mile 88) are about 9 miles at 8-12%.

Its a great ride, probably my favorite century I've ridden. The weather is predictably nice if you prefer cool but not cold temps.