cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #21
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
If the coaches believe Heaps is the eventual answer AND he comes for spring ball 2010, I say throw him out there as the starter and take your lumps in 2010.
I honestly can't believe I just saw you say this.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #22
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
I know as little about Nelson's ability to play QB at BYU as anybody else on this board, but I think many here may be underestimating him a bit.

He did throw for 53 TDs and 4,000 yards in one season. Yes, he also ran for 31 TDs, but that doesn't take away from the passing accomplishments.
Agreed. The kid can play. And don't you think Doman will give him (a kid virtually in the same mold with a better arm) every chance he can get? Doman had to sit behind inferior "classic" QBs for too long; I doubt he's forgotten it.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #23
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Riley Nelson is an interesting topic because I'm not sure what exactly to expect.

He doesn't blow you away with his physical abilities, but all the kid has ever done is win, and seems to have the intangibles required.

While watching the Boise State/Louisana Tech game last week the announcers were commenting on their production meeting they had with the BSU Coaches and Coach Peterson.

They are starting a Redshirt Freshman at QB this year who so far is ripping it up. Coach Peterson said the LAST thing they look at when evaluating a QB is his arm strength. They're more interested in his intelligence and his ability to win and be a leader.

Call me crazy, and I'm not advocating that Nelson is the future at QB for the long term for BYU, but I do think there's a lot there to like and he's being underated and undervalued by many fans.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #24
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I honestly can't believe I just saw you say this.
Indy, perhaps you haven't noticed but Mendenhall is on slightly more stable turf than Crowton in 2003. Secondly, Heaps will not be a true freshman who had not played competitively for 3 years. It is a bit of a similar instance of program mismanagement, but most of us can realize that such a miscue would be the exception rather than the rule.

In a perfect world he would go and get a stop gap JC after this year. I understand when Munns came to Provo he was not planning a mission, then changed his mind sometime last winter. I would think finding a JC transfer to back up next year, or redshirt, and then be around for two would be wise.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #25
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Riley Nelson is an interesting topic because I'm not sure what exactly to expect.

He doesn't blow you away with his physical abilities, but all the kid has ever done is win, and seems to have the intangibles required.

While watching the Boise State/Louisana Tech game last week the announcers were commenting on their production meeting they had with the BSU Coaches and Coach Peterson.

They are starting a Redshirt Freshman at QB this year who so far is ripping it up. Coach Peterson said the LAST thing they look at when evaluating a QB is his arm strength. They're more interested in his intelligence and his ability to win and be a leader.

Call me crazy, and I'm not advocating that Nelson is the future at QB for the long term for BYU, but I do think there's a lot there to like and he's being underated and undervalued by many fans.

Kellen Moore (Boise's QB) is a great example - he was absolutely dominant in High School, put up crazy numbers and won football games, but because he lacked ideal size and arm strength he was completely overlooked in the recruiting process.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #26
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Indy, perhaps you haven't noticed but Mendenhall is on slightly more stable turf than Crowton in 2003. Secondly, Heaps will not be a true freshman who had not played competitively for 3 years. It is a bit of a similar instance of program mismanagement, but most of us can realize that such a miscue would be the exception rather than the rule.

In a perfect world he would go and get a stop gap JC after this year. I understand when Munns came to Provo he was not planning a mission, then changed his mind sometime last winter. I would think finding a JC transfer to back up next year, or redshirt, and then be around for two would be wise.
Keep in mind the supporting players we're losing in 2009 and won't be around for 2010.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #27
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am in the camp that believes the most likely scenario is Heaps starting as a true freshman. I don't know how good he is but I don't think BYU's answer is Riley Nelson. There is no way Munns or Lark will start that fresh from mission service. Heaps is the guy by default and I think starts as a true freshman. Even though he will have a spring ball to prepare, he will still struggle. 2010 will be a huge rebuilding year for BYU. It is my prognostication that Unga will go pro after his junior year and leave with Hall, Collie and Pitta. BYU will be starting a true freshman qb and breaking in new skill players at every position, sans Oneil Howard and McKay Jacobsen. I think the talent will be fine but the lack of experience will result in 4-5 losses that season and more if Heaps is not as good as we think- which we have learned these top ranked qbs occassional flop.
I belong to the if Heaps signs he starts in 2010 camp as well. 2010 could be a difficult year offensively for the Y.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #28
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Keep in mind the supporting players we're losing in 2009 and won't be around for 2010.
By my count the 2009 two deep includes the following:

Senior - 12 + two players who will likely go on missions following the year (Shiloah and Manti Teo).

That means that BYU's defense will return 2 starters and a total of 8 in the two deep from 2009 to 2010. That is why I say huge rebuilding year. I still think the collective talent is high enough to win 7 games.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #29
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
I belong to the if Heaps signs he starts in 2010 camp as well. 2010 could be a difficult year offensively for the Y.
Defensively as well. It will be a rough year.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to be laughing at all you pessimists in 2010.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote