cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #41
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
David Nixon is the most overrated LB of this decade. He tackles like crap and he takes bad angles all too often. He does a poor job of maintaining outside leverage. He's made a couple of big plays which people seem to remember but they fail to remember all the poor plays he's made.

P.S. I'm serious here.
How can someone be overrated when they are a 4 year starter yet they have never made an all-conference team? Nixon is a solid player, I dont think he is on the level of the Poppingas, Kehls, etc. But he is a good player and he is a playmaker.

He has 214 tackles, 35 tfls, 11 sacks, 2 ints, and 6 forced fumbles.

Considering he still has 8 games left of his senior year, I think those are pretty solid numbers.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #42
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
How can someone be overrated when they are a 4 year starter yet they have never made an all-conference team? Nixon is a solid player, I dont think he is on the level of the Poppingas, Kehls, etc. But he is a good player and he is a playmaker.

He has 214 tackles, 35 tfls, 11 sacks, 2 ints, and 6 forced fumbles.

Considering he still has 8 games left of his senior year, I think those are pretty solid numbers.
Overrated in the minds of the fans.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #43
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'm not gonna go out of my way too far to defend Feterik, because he's not one of the all time greats or anything, but I do feel he and Walsh (moreso) both were maligned somewhat unfairly.

Things I liked about Feterik

1. came in as a young guy with no experience and stepped up beating a ranked ASU team on the road
2. tough guy--probably got hit harder than any QB in BYU history and always got up, broke his leg and healed in like three weeks and was starting again
3. did OK with the worst offensive talent BYU's ever had--horrible WR's and in '99 no RB's once they all got hurt
4. accurate passer

Things I didn't like

1. weak arm
2. didn't win
3. didn't come through in the clutch in a few games, especially AFA WAC championship '98 and Utah at home '99
I have mixed feelings about Feterik as well, but won't argue he was no better than third tier in the BYU pantheon of QBs. I'll always be grateful he hit that Home Run Waiting to Happen Hale vs. Washington, but each time I visualize that great play I see him smacking an OL (Bateman?) on the side of the helmet in that crap Motor City Bowl.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #44
Indy Coug

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I have mixed feelings about Feterik as well, but won't argue he was no better than third tier in the BYU pantheon of QBs. I'll always be grateful he hit that Home Run Waiting to Happen Hale vs. Washington, but each time I visualize that great play I see him smacking an OL (Bateman?) on the side of the helmet in that crap Motor City Bowl.
That's the only BYU bowl game I've ever been to.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's the only BYU bowl game I've ever been to.
LOL. That makes me happy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #46
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
LOL. That makes me happy.
I was sitting next to Coach Mitchell's wife and kids, so I couldn't even gripe much about that spineless performance by the offense. The defense did OK for awhile...
Old 10-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #47
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

1. Motor City Bowl/Liberty Bowl - no need for explanation here.

2. Texas A&M 1990 - Can you say "blindside"?

3. Miss St. / Hawaii 2001 -A very dark time

4. Stanford 2004 - Not only was it a crappy outcome to the game, but SteelBlue and I were resigned to watching the game at the Stake Center with Brother McIntire with the remote control in hand. Every couple of seconds he would say "I'm tired of listening to these guys talk", and then hit mute for 5 or 10 minutes. We would have said something but he was something like 102 years old and could have kicked the bucket any second. Dying man's wish....

5. UNR 2002 - This was the first game I was able to see in person in about 5 years after heading returning from the midwest for grad school. The look of complete confidence on the faces of the BYU lineman while coming out of the tunnel at halftime is indelibly marked in my memory, especially after getting spanked so badly in the second half. Not only did it mark the beginning of the end for the next several years, but them sumbiches at the stadium ran out of water at the concession stands shortly after halftime on a day when temps were well into the 90's. And this after they made me pour out several liters of water to get into the stadium. If ever there were just cause to crack open a cold Miller or Bud, it was on that dark, sunny day in Reno.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #48
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

If you're not putting UTEP 85 on this list, I'm doubting your old-schoolness/depth of commitment as a fan. This was far and away the worst loss we've had. We were on a roll that was cut short by the equivalent of USU (if we lose to USU this weekend, that'll shoot right up there too...).
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #49
TheAzzuri

TheAzzuri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Overrated in the minds of the fans.
Good thing you didn't make any over the top statements like those fans have.
________
Recall zoloft

Last edited by TheAzzuri; 05-06-2011 at 11:50 PM.
TheAzzuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
1. Motor City Bowl/Liberty Bowl - no need for explanation here.

2. Texas A&M 1990 - Can you say "blindside"?

3. Miss St. / Hawaii 2001 -A very dark time

4. Stanford 2004 - Not only was it a crappy outcome to the game, but SteelBlue and I were resigned to watching the game at the Stake Center with Brother McIntire with the remote control in hand. Every couple of seconds he would say "I'm tired of listening to these guys talk", and then hit mute for 5 or 10 minutes. We would have said something but he was something like 102 years old and could have kicked the bucket any second. Dying man's wish....

5. UNR 2002 - This was the first game I was able to see in person in about 5 years after heading returning from the midwest for grad school. The look of complete confidence on the faces of the BYU lineman while coming out of the tunnel at halftime is indelibly marked in my memory, especially after getting spanked so badly in the second half. Not only did it mark the beginning of the end for the next several years, but them sumbiches at the stadium ran out of water at the concession stands shortly after halftime on a day when temps were well into the 90's. And this after they made me pour out several liters of water to get into the stadium. If ever there were just cause to crack open a cold Miller or Bud, it was on that dark, sunny day in Reno.
Oh man, I really can't stand "the TV must be muted or barely audible guy."

Is there anything worse than that?

Suddenly watching the game is like a funeral.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote