cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #31
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
that's interesting. i do nothing with marketing, so those concepts are new to me.

i wonder if byu has targeted a national market, or if they are limiting themselves to only wanting an LDS or religious persons market?

if byu does want a national market, is the bronco approach of touting righteousness and family values the way to get it? i'm sure it will work with some who would like the good kids having kids and not drinking, etc. crowd. but others (obviously like me) will get offended because of the preachy, self-righteous and condescending tone. maybe there are more people that will buy this than i thought!
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #32
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
that's interesting. i do nothing with marketing, so those concepts are new to me.

i wonder if byu has targeted a national market, or if they are limiting themselves to only wanting an LDS or religious persons market?

if byu does want a national market, is the bronco approach of touting righteousness and family values the way to get it? i'm sure it will work with some who would like the good kids having kids and not drinking, etc. crowd. but others (obviously like me) will get offended because of the preachy, self-righteous and condescending tone. maybe there are more people that will buy this than i thought!
I think that's why you only see a handful of non-members signing up. And why you see a handful of members, who are good enough, not. He's working with a decidedly small group.
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #33
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The count of mediocre athletes offered scholarships for 2009:

Five stars: 1
Four stars: 8
Three stars: 7
Two stars: 8
One stars (i.e. unevaluated): 1

It doesn't look like this is particularly bottom heavy.

http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=9&c=4&yr=2009
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #34
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

The interview on Seattle's sports station, prior to the game up here, was on par with the Rome interview and maybe even a little bit better. The local host was impressed and Bronco came across really well – from a BYU perspective.

Here is a link...

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/182...ahler_OnDemand
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #35
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbamboo View Post
I think that's why you only see a handful of non-members signing up. And why you see a handful of members, who are good enough, not. He's working with a decidedly small group.

BYU always works with a decideely small group. You are kidding yourslef if you think otherwsie, IMO. I think he is trying to maximize his leverage with that group.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #36
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

We need a righteousness rating system. 5-stars are RMs with no chastity, word of wisdom issues, etc. 1-stars are non-members who it's all the football office can do to keep their shenanigans under wraps.

Some of you with spare time ... get it started.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #37
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
BYU always works with a decideely small group. You are kidding yourslef if you think otherwsie, IMO. I think he is trying to maximize his leverage with that group.
He keeps using the term "self-select". BYU keeps winning and we'll see more of the LDS multi-star athletes "self-select"... And we'll see the Coach's methods chiseled in granite.

It's so nice to be a Cougar right now!
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #38
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The count of mediocre athletes offered scholarships for 2009:

Five stars: 1
Four stars: 8
Three stars: 7
Two stars: 8
One stars (i.e. unevaluated): 1

It doesn't look like this is particularly bottom heavy.

http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=9&c=4&yr=2009
You're not understanding my point.

Bronco's positioning: "we're a church school. We don't recruit, players self select us. We go after a different kind of athlete. We are here first to represent the church and the values and as football players secondarily. We develop a system that can make these kind of players successful".

result: people like Manti Te'o only refer to BYU as a place where there's a good Mormon environment but refers to other schools in terms of football. His dad calls BYU a team of "no stars" ,i.e. 5 star vs 4 star vs no stars.

Another way to position: "Our football program is first and foremost about football. We have coaches that have played in the NFL and have produced many NFL players. We are a top 20 program that can compete with any BCS program. We have a rich tradition with national championship, Heisman winner, and Super Bowl champions. We are a TE and QB factory which no school can rival. If you want to go on a mission, that's fine but you won't be pressured into it. If you are a high school kid who wants to play in the NFL, come here. Compare Brett Keisel to JT Mapu, etc. Oh and by the way, BYU is a special university which represents the church and what we believe to be a high moral standard. If you are LDS you will greatly enjoy the LDS environment in addition to what our football program offers."

I wonder if this might be a better way to position ourselves.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #39
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Bronco's positioning: "we're a church school. We don't recruit, players self select us. We go after a different kind of athlete. We are here first to represent the church and the values and as football players secondarily. We develop a system that can make these kind of players successful".

result: people like Manti Te'o only refer to BYU as a place where there's a good Mormon environment but refers to other schools in terms of football. His dad calls BYU a team of "no stars" ,i.e. 5 star vs 4 star vs no stars.

Another way to position: "Our football program is first and foremost about football. We have coaches that have played in the NFL and have produced many NFL players. We are a top 20 program that can compete with any BCS program. We have a rich tradition with national championship, Heisman winner, and Super Bowl champions. We are a TE and QB factory which no school can rival. If you want to go on a mission, that's fine but you won't be pressured into it. If you are a high school kid who wants to play in the NFL, come here. Compare Brett Keisel to JT Mapu, etc. Oh and by the way, BYU is a special university which represents the church and what we believe to be a high moral standard. If you are LDS you will greatly enjoy the LDS environment in addition to what our football program offers."

OK, but we now have several years of Bronco data to see how your theory matches up with reality. I see nothing from reality that would indicate that the problematic items in your theory have significant merit.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #40
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

This may sound more flip than I mean it to, but if BYU starts losing, I am sure he'll consider it. In the meantime, scorebaord.