cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road
Default Saturday Ride Report

Well I did my first real mountain today and was humbled beyond all belief. Started at the mouth of Provo Canyon and road to the Summit of Alpine Loop. We had intended to continue on descending through AF and then back to the mouth through lindon, but I was sooooo slow it turned into an out and back to save about an hour. here is the link to the ride.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6103992

here is the profile

This is honestly the hardest thing I have ever done. I had no idea you could keep a bike upright and 3 mph. I do not have the body of a climber that is for sure. Descending is another story. I hit 62 MPH between Sundance and the turn on to Provo Canyon. That was hairy. In total it took us (because of me) 4:05 hours to go 32 miles. Pretty shameful to post that but I had a blast and I assume I will get better when I don't have to tow 260 pounds uphill.

How about you guys?
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "

Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 06-28-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never cycled up a mountain. Hope to do it one day. I have a feeling I will bonk however.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Attaboy, Coach. I need to give that a shot one of these days.

I am hoping to ride to the top of South Fork this evening. 26 miles roundtrip from my house, but not nearly as brutal. The Vivian Park - South Fork part is very steep, just not as long as the Alpine Loop route.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I should add that sometimes I have to go down to my granny gear (bike is double with compact crank) just going up mere rises in roads here.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
Coach McGuirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've never cycled up a mountain. Hope to do it one day. I have a feeling I will bonk however.
you have to try it. It has changed the definition of cycling, and my amazement of the pro's.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Old 06-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
Coach McGuirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Attaboy, Coach. I need to give that a shot one of these days.

I am hoping to ride to the top of South Fork this evening. 26 miles roundtrip from my house, but not nearly as brutal. The Vivian Park - South Fork part is very steep, just not as long as the Alpine Loop route.
I should have done that one first. I had no idea what I was in for. I think I am a little more lenient with my stance on the dopers in the sport too. I would have taken a blood transfusion half way up if it had been offered.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Was that your speed info? You hit 62.5 mph coming back down the mountian? Wow. that is pretty fast.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
Coach McGuirk

yea it was. The grade on that particular stretch is very steep and I just let it hang out. It was awesome and scary all together.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Was that your speed info? You hit 62.5 mph coming back down the mountian? Wow. that is pretty fast.
I think my all time fastest was 53. 62.5 seems insane.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:39 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think my fastest is 50 or a shade under.

That's in the drops, pedaling as fast as I can, down the steepest hill in Dallas.

Pedaling at 50mph didn't do anything. I would not be able to pedal to 60.