cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Again, I didn't say he should be prosecuted. (Did you read that?) But Mike is suggesting that they were murdered. Murdered, creekster.

If you people can't read that article and have a little compassion on someone who clearly did not intended to kill 2, maybe 3, people, then you are too emotionally involved in this story. He made a poor choice (whether deliberate or accidental) and will carry this the rest of his life.

And don't ever talk to me again about what a compassionless SOB I am.
Tex, you are not a cyclist. The is road rage against cyclists, and sometimes I've come close to having been "murdered" by enraged motorists, who are angry they must share the road with cyclists. He should be prosecuted and if his motive could be determined, which I doubt, he should be prosecuted for murder. This is a heinous moment of gross criminal negligence.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Tex, you are not a cyclist. The is road rage against cyclists, and sometimes I've come close to having been "murdered" by enraged motorists, who are angry they must share the road with cyclists. He should be prosecuted and if his motive could be determined, which I doubt, he should be prosecuted for murder. This is a heinous moment of gross criminal negligence.
Is there any evidence that this man was an "enraged motorist"?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

WHen he the deputy sherriff offered aid, did he go pick up the woman's severed leg and place it next to her?

Heaven help me that I never kill anyone with my vehicle, and heaven help me that I am never killed by someone's vehicle.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Again, I didn't say he shouldn't be prosecuted--meaning that as a matter of law, the families (and/or the state) certainly have that right.

My comment that it would be a remarkable gesture comes in the spirit of this story, and this principle. It's called forgiveness.

http://lds.org/conference/talk/displ...559-26,00.html

Similar thoughts occupy my mind as it concerns the two foolish young missionaries in Colorado. You all are far too eager to cast fire and brimstone at people.

Jay santos, are you listening?

SO then what do you think? You take absolutely no position here at all. You claijm you didn't say he shouldn't be prowscuted, but you say it woudl be nice if he wasn't, just like the missionaries (which is a differnt amtter altogether) and you say I am casting fire and brimstone here. SO read the articel and take a position pal. In this case, knowing what you know, sherrif deputy, wrong side of the road, two dead and one critically injured people, shoul or should not the prosecutor pursue charges, and to help you out a little, assume there is never any more info about intent. SO what do YOU think here?

I hearde the prophet give that talk, btw. It does not change my mind here one iota. COmpeltely different circumstacnes and a prosecutiojn here is needed to help set a public view of unacceptable behavior on roads. Incarcerating a kid that drops a turkey on a car is not likely to ever deter another kid form some other foolsih stunt. Prosecuting drivers for this sort of accident will almost certainly result in some deterrence in the future.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Is there any evidence that this man was an "enraged motorist"?
As Mike pointed, he offered no aid. You have no idea what it feels like to be buzzed, nicked and hit by reckless drivers. I have had all the same and narrowly escaped death on one occasion, even though I ended up in the ER and hospital, but through the grace of God and a good helmet, I survived.

This is an extremely sensitive issue for cyclists against road-hogging, hell-raising motorists. In Utah, they are a dime a dozen, including beer cans being thrown. To swerve as far over as he did makes me believe it may have been an intentional effort gone awry, i.e., murder.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

the article says he did stop and try to render aid. But what aid can you offer someone with head injuries and a missing leg?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #17
Archaea

I believe I may have seen Kristy Gough at some tri's in California before. That is an awful thing and that guy committed a horrible thing. This guy is supposed to be a professional in monitoring the road and he essentially murdered defenseless cyclists.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
the article says he did stop and try to render aid. But what aid can you offer someone with head injuries and a missing leg?
It does. "Oh, here's your leg. Sorry I can't put your head back together."
Old 03-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #19
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
As Mike pointed, he offered no aid. You have no idea what it feels like to be buzzed, nicked and hit by reckless drivers. I have had all the same and narrowly escaped death on one occasion, even though I ended up in the ER and hospital, but through the grace of God and a good helmet, I survived.

This is an extremely sensitive issue for cyclists against road-hogging, hell-raising motorists. In Utah, they are a dime a dozen, including beer cans being thrown. To swerve as far over as he did makes me believe it may have been an intentional effort gone awry, i.e., murder.
Maybe he's pulling that from a different article. The one posted by Coach doesn't give any indication one way or the other.

I recognize that it's a sensitive issue. I've seen threads on this before. What is unfortunate is that your (and others') sensitivity has lead you to jump to the absolute worst conclusions without all the data. You're ready to lynch a man who may or may not be guilty of what you accuse him of, simply because others have been guilty.

I know someone who has struck and killed a pedestrian (not a cyclist, acknowledged) entirely by accident. It absolutely devastated her. It's been years and years, and I'm still not entirely sure she's over it. It helped that the family didn't react to her with malice, but facing them was one of the hardest things she ever did.

You people are far too quick to condemn.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

A priest in my ward growing up, ran a red light (I think, but it was some kind of illegal traffic violation on his part at an intersection, he was at fault) and hit a motorcyclist (a college student I think). The guy went to the hospital. The priest visited him in the hospital, and after a couple days the guy died of his injuries.

I don't think the priest was prosecuted (at least he didn't do any jail or anything), but he was never the same, I think.

I think I would rather be killed by another driver, then kill a person through my negligence.