cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2008, 02:20 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
DirecTV owns the Big 10. They reached a distribution agreement with Dish Network before the beginning of the season last year. Big 10 fans were mad about cable like MWC fans were mad about satellite. I believe the Big 10 Network changes to a different tier this year for Dish.
Got it.

I've watched maybe 4 games on that channel - 2 football and 2 basketball. It's no big deal to me if I have it, though I have the Top 200 package, so if there is a change, I'll probably get it anyway.

I'd gladly trade half those channels for the MTN.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:52 AM   #12
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Got it.

I've watched maybe 4 games on that channel - 2 football and 2 basketball. It's no big deal to me if I have it, though I have the Top 200 package, so if there is a change, I'll probably get it anyway.

I'd gladly trade half those channels for the MTN.
I think all of us would.

My point is that Dish has nothing to bargin with Comcast still. There is no pressure on either of them now to get a deal done. I'm fairly sure that Dish will very similar call center disposition data as DTV. They know they're not losing many customers. Certainly not enough to get into a bad deal. I'd be very suprised if Dish got the mtn before the season unless there is outside pressure from politicians or CBS/CSTV. Comcast and Dish alone don't have enough incentive to do it otherwise.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:11 AM   #13
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think all of us would.

My point is that Dish has nothing to bargin with Comcast still. There is no pressure on either of them now to get a deal done. I'm fairly sure that Dish will very similar call center disposition data as DTV. They know they're not losing many customers. Certainly not enough to get into a bad deal. I'd be very suprised if Dish got the mtn before the season unless there is outside pressure from politicians or CBS/CSTV. Comcast and Dish alone don't have enough incentive to do it otherwise.
Agreed.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:13 AM   #14
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Everyone in the MWC is literally small market. ESPN knew it. Comcast has learned that the last two years. BYU and Utah can get decent deals. They need to shake the other 7 off and do their own thing.
That isn't entirely accurate. TCU is in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market, and SDSU is not a small market. However, neither of those areas really give a damn about their college sports teams.

Next thing you are going to say is that the MWC needs to add SJSU because it is in a huge market...
Old 02-25-2008, 03:34 AM   #15
Y'zGuy

Y'zGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They wouldn't. There is no reason for them to go for it unless they're going to get something back for it. I am really surprised that DTV got it based on their own internal data.
I saw an article that said there are 400,000 dish subscribers in the MWC footprint. Granted not all want the MTN, but do they want to lose even 10% of that #?
Y'zGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 AM   #16
CJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
That isn't entirely accurate. TCU is in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market, and SDSU is not a small market. However, neither of those areas really give a damn about their college sports teams.

Next thing you are going to say is that the MWC needs to add SJSU because it is in a huge market...
When I said small market I meant they draw a small number of viewers and not the population of the surrounding area of the school. I know that Dallas and San Diego are good sized cities. San Diego residents are watching USC and UCLA. Dallas residents are watching Texas, A&M and probably Tech over TCU.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:42 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I told a BYU fan in my ward about the directv deal today. He said "I'll believe it when it happens." I said "no, there was an article in the paper, it's a done deal." "I'll believe it when I see it."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:44 AM   #18
CJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y'zGuy View Post
I saw an article that said there are 400,000 dish subscribers in the MWC footprint. Granted not all want the MTN, but do they want to lose even 10% of that #?
Good question. I doubt they'd lose 10%. I doubt they'll lose 2%. A lot of people have contracts with a termination clause. They're not going to lose enough to force them into a bad deal. Especially if they won't get the same pricing that DirecTV got as Haddow has indicated.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #19
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y'zGuy View Post
I doubt they lose 10% of 10%. If CJF's numbers are accurate, I could see maybe 4,000 people switching. And if that is all that switches, I don't think that's enough to get into a deal that is less than favorable with the mtn. Dish's main advantage has been their price point, so there is no need to mess with that just to keep 4,000 subscribers.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #20
TheSizzle36

Quote:
When I said small market I meant they draw a small number of viewers and not the population of the surrounding area of the school. I know that Dallas and San Diego are good sized cities. San Diego residents are watching USC and UCLA. Dallas residents are watching Texas, A&M and probably Tech over TCU.
Come on Whitney, learn to take a joke...