cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I used to sell football tickets when I was a student at BYU. I think you would be absolutely disgusted if you saw how many of the best seats in the stadium are being hogged by stadium donors...only the donor is long since deceased, and the family is keeping the seat in the name of the deceased and it's the grandchildren buying the seats (the tickets were for the life of a donor and the life of one of their children).

I volunteered to actually do the research out of the public records and find out which of those seats were being purchased by people who had no legitimate claim on them...free of charge. Val Hale told me he didn't want me doing any such thing, because he didn't want to anger anyone who is purchasing season tickets. The other thing I asked Val Hale is why they didn't just jack up the prices of those seats so that the people that weren't legit donors couldn't afford them anymore, and the university could reclaim the seats. He also said that it was because they didn't want to upset the actual donors who still use their seats, because they are people that stepped up to the plate and made a hefty donation at a time that BYU fb really needed that money.
My grandfather is an original staidum donor. He paid $3,000 at the time.

He has 4 in the first couple of rows of the upper bowl, 50 yard line, West side...basically primo seats. No annual fee...just has to buy the tickets.

One catch....he can never move them.

BYU has been raising prices slowly, and eventually the geezers will be priced out.

He and I just talked this past month about my taking over payments on 2 of his 4 seats. They are currently in the name of his oldest son, but his oldest only wants 2 of the 4 now (he thinks they are too expensive), so I may wind up buying the other 2. not sure, though.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #22
Ace Tomato Co.

Ace Tomato Co. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I used to sell football tickets when I was a student at BYU. I think you would be absolutely disgusted if you saw how many of the best seats in the stadium are being hogged by stadium donors...only the donor is long since deceased, and the family is keeping the seat in the name of the deceased and it's the grandchildren buying the seats (the tickets were for the life of a donor and the life of one of their children).

I volunteered to actually do the research out of the public records and find out which of those seats were being purchased by people who had no legitimate claim on them...free of charge. Val Hale told me he didn't want me doing any such thing, because he didn't want to anger anyone who is purchasing season tickets. The other thing I asked Val Hale is why they didn't just jack up the prices of those seats so that the people that weren't legit donors couldn't afford them anymore, and the university could reclaim the seats. He also said that it was because they didn't want to upset the actual donors who still use their seats, because they are people that stepped up to the plate and made a hefty donation at a time that BYU fb really needed that money.
Someone should do the research anyway, give it to the athletic department, give it to Samuelson, and post it on all the boards. It just blows the mind that people who have the means and the desire to donate 5 figures to the athletic department cannot have access to great seats - you almost can't overstimate how much money the athletic department is losing here.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

He has 4 in the first couple of rows of the upper bowl, 50 yard line, West side...basically primo seats. No annual fee...just has to buy the tickets.

BYU has been raising prices slowly, and eventually the geezers will be priced out.

He and I just talked this past month about my taking over payments on 2 of his 4 seats. They are currently in the name of his oldest son, but his oldest only wants 2 of the 4 now (he thinks they are too expensive), so I may wind up buying the other 2. not sure, though.
Those seats might get you some good dates.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #24
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:

Case in point.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #25
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I am of the opinion that the more you donate, the more right you have to bitch and moan. If you are not donating or attending games you have no right to bitch about what is going on.

So bitch away.
I disagree. Ira Fulton is the biggest donor to BYU athletics in history and I doubt he could tell you BYU's last two bowl opponents.

If you have passion for BYU, you have a right to voice your opinion. 71 has more passion for BYU than some guys that donate more than he does, and some guys that donate a lot less than 71 have more passion than he does. If 90% of your casual wear is BYU gear, you plan your vacations around BYU games, and you can name the starting QB's for each year going back to 1972, then you have every right to voice your opinion for BYU no matter how much you donate.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Those seats might get you some good dates.
My dates prefer the East stands.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 12-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #27
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
If 90% of your casual wear is BYU gear
Yikes.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #28
jay santos

Quote:
Yikes.
I know people like this. And I'm dangerously close.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #29
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a relative who is well connected. He is very much "in the know" of things that happen at BYU and in the church.

Over Thanksgiving, I mentioned to him that Jerry Jones annouced the $100,000 donation requirement for the rights to purchase the best seats in the Cowboys new billion-dollar stadium.

We got into a discussion similar to this thread. He told me that every year, the Legacy donors and other prominent members of the church that have ties to BYU are solicited for additional donations, and every year, over $50 million is raised for the university.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #30
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
He told me that every year, the Legacy donors and other prominent members of the church that have ties to BYU are solicited for additional donations, and every year, over $50 million is raised for the university.
Bullcrap.

BYU gets nowhere close to $50M per year in donations to athletic department. Maybe 1/10th of that.