cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #11
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Sizzle as someone who had adults tell me, when I was a kid, that I wasn't a good Mormon because I was a Ute fan.
And you think that they were 100% serious with you? This is no different than the guy who brought my dad a plastic knife to church and told him he could use it to slit his wrists when Utah beat BYU this year.

As a kid I had teachers give me crap about being a BYU fan, it didn't get to me. It doesn't mean it's in the right but seriously, if you are STILL harboring ill feelings because of that, it's time to let it go.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:55 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

MP, are you offended when athletes score touchdowns and point in the sky to God, or cross themselves while kneeling?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #13
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
My wife was reading the comment over my shoulder, and her reaction to the comment was that Collie was saying that God intervened in the victory. I think this is a very dangerous road to go down and one that is frankly contrary to the Gospel.

Success in life is not connected to righteousness. A person can be a great person, live every commandment to the best of his abilities, and still not be a great success in life. It happens. Collie didn't just thank God as some BYU fans want to characterize it as, he said God intervened in the game. He is saying they won because they are righteous. Well if you play that game, really doesn't that mean when BYU lost it must be because they are sinning?

This is the same type of ridiculous thought that has people going into debt to get that boat that Brother Jones got, so they look righteous and successful like Brother Jones. It is a dangerous thought process.

Not only that Collie when he makes comments like that, seems like the type that had no problem telling me when I was growing up that I wasn't a good Mormon because I was a Ute fan.

By the way Collie should go read the Book of Job.
I am undecided. If in fact Collie meant BYU has better people and the Lord intervened, then I am very uncomfortable with the statement. If he meant he has worked hard, lived a good life as he believes he should and therefor the Lord helped him to make the play, I have no problem.

I wish true believers would let their actions speak for themselves and then let other people draw their own conclusions.

My other opinion is Ute fans are way overreacting. Just are some BYU fans who feel the need hint that people at BYU are better than people other places. The prophet has warned against such attitudes in numerous conf. talks.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #14
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default That's exactly what Collie meant........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am undecided. If in fact Collie meant BYU has better people and the Lord intervened, then I am very uncomfortable with the statement. If he meant he has worked hard, lived a good life as he believes he should and therefor the Lord helped him to make the play, I have no problem.

I wish true believers would let their actions speak for themselves and then let other people draw their own conclusions.

My other opinion is Ute fans are way overreacting. Just are some BYU fans who feel the need hint that people at BYU are better than people other places. The prophet has warned against such attitudes in numerous conf. talks.
But then again, you're not going to change anyone's mind. People who think BYU fans are self righteous, will never change their opinion.

I wonder if the active LDS Ute fan considers the fact that they may believe in the 'only true church' might appear self righteous to those of other faiths.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #15
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

How long before you think you'll be able to get over this "problem"?
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:49 PM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Why is it ok for Utes to call BYU fans f....ing Mormons, but Collie can't refer to God. Did Dungy get the same kind of crap when he brought God into the Colts success last year. Athletes do it all the time.
Because you are an example of a f...ing Mormon. Others Mormons are plain old' Mormons.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:08 PM   #17
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Funk, you are letting the quote get to you. Your biggest problem with the quote is that BYU won. Let it slide...
Bingo.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:09 PM   #18
RockyBalboa

The fake outrage being expressed by Yewt "fans" has been amusing to watch.

If Collie were trolling for responses he just proved how easy it was to bait the other fanbase into an orgy of fake indignation.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:09 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
MP, are you offended when athletes score touchdowns and point in the sky to God, or cross themselves while kneeling?
Yes because Funk likes to try pretending he's Politically Correct.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #20
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

When Collie caught the long bomb on 4th and 18 and when Harvey took it in for the touchdown, I was going crazy screaming and overcome with joy and happiness.

It was the last thing I was thinking of during that moment, but now a day later, people like Funk and Seattle experiencing serious spiritual torture over hating and losing to what they both know is the Lord's church's university's football team is just an added bonus.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote