cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #31
Ace Tomato Co.

Ace Tomato Co. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm talking about the hypocrisy of BYU fans' attitude towards other teams that are winning with lesser schedules.
Thinking that BSU & Hawaii are both cowardly frauds does not make you a hypocrity if you also believe that the '84 championship was suspect as well. The system stinks, it always has. We "won" a national championship in '84 without a playoff, which means we didn't win anything at all except votes.

Saying that in '84 we didn't win anything except votes doesn't make you anti-BYU. That's just stupid.

Hawaii is ridiculous this year. They don't deserve to be ranked, much less sniffing a BCS bid. If you don't think SOS is very important, take a look at Hawaii's schedule - if you still think they ought to be ranked because they are "undefeated", then you don't know much about college football.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tomato Co. View Post
Thinking that BSU & Hawaii are both cowardly frauds does not make you a hypocrity if you also believe that the '84 championship was suspect as well.
I'm talking about those that object to the "yeah, but who did you beat" argument 1984 national title, yet do the same thing to people like Boise State.

If you personally think that BYU's national title was suspect, then my post obviously doesn't apply to you.

P.S. I've even seen this complaint lobbed at Kansas this year, and they're ranked #1 in Sagarin.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #33
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm talking about those that object to the "yeah, but who did you beat" argument 1984 national title, yet do the same thing to people like Boise State.

If you personally think that BYU's national title was suspect, then my post obviously doesn't apply to you.
How many players from that 1984 team made it in the NFL? How many from this Hawaii team will? Not nearly as many, IMO. It's my recollection that the 84 team had more NFL talent on it than just about any BYU team ever. Is that true or false? I could be wrong but I don't think I am. I don't think Hawaii is going to win out anyway because I don't think they're a good team.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #34
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
How many players from that 1984 team made it in the NFL? How many from this Hawaii team will? Not nearly as many, IMO. It's my recollection that the 84 team had more NFL talent on it than just about any BYU team ever. Is that true or false? I could be wrong but I don't think I am. I don't think Hawaii is going to win out anyway because I don't think they're a good team.
BlueK, this goes beyond the specifics of Hawaii 2007. I'm not trying to defend Hawaii 2007. I'm fighting against the same SOS mindset that was used against us back in 1984; which has resulted in many teams beyond Hawaii 2007 (Utah 2004, Boise State 2006, etc.) being criticized by BYU fans who should have known better.

I lived in Tennessee in 1984. I had to listen to a daily diet of this crap back then. I don't particularly enjoy hearing it fans of my own school.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #35
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
To continue this aside, another reason for the BYU championship was the fact that the previous year, the Y went 11-1 and most returned. So in reality, the team won the votes because it had gone 24-1 in 2 years. It was a good team.

That being said, I have always thought our SOS was suspect then and now. Our conference has always been a mid-tier conference.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #36
Ace Tomato Co.

Quote:

P.S. I've even seen this complaint lobbed at Kansas this year, and they're ranked #1 in Sagarin.
OK, so we make the distinction. But just out of curiosity, do you feel that:

A) BYU deserved to be called national champions in '84?
B) BSU deserved to get a BCS invite in '06?
C) Hawaii will deserve a BCS invite if they win out in '07?

I realize that you may have had to listen to a lot of anti-BYU sentiment back in '84. But I can't believe that experience would force you to become an apologist for crappy SOS.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #37
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tomato Co. View Post
OK, so we make the distinction. But just out of curiosity, do you feel that:

A) BYU deserved to be called national champions in '84?
B) BSU deserved to get a BCS invite in '06?
C) Hawaii will deserve a BCS invite if they win out in '07?

I realize that you may have had to listen to a lot of anti-BYU sentiment back in '84. But I can't believe that experience would force you to become an apologist for crappy SOS.
A) Yes
B) Yes
C) Probably not unless they really crank their defense up a couple of notches and look impressive vs. Fresno, Boise and Washington. They need a lot of style points. They have virtually no style points right now. It's not their weak schedule so much as how they've looked against their schedule. That's a distinct difference, IMO.

Hawaii isn't the most aggressive scheduler, but at least one of their 1-AA games this year was due to a BCS team wimping out on them.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #38
Indy Coug

While we're at it here, why didn't BYU get a Bowl Alliance bid in 1996? It was at least in part because they hadn't beaten anybody. A&M was 6-6 that year. They looked horrible in a loss to Washington. Their SOS was sub-0.500

Does anyone here (other than Ute trolls) think BYU, ranked #5 prior to the Cotton Bowl, was rightfully excluded from the Bowl Alliance in 1996? I don't.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 11-02-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #39
Ace Tomato Co.

Quote:
A) Yes
B) Yes
C) Probably not unless they really crank their defense up a couple of notches and look impressive vs. Fresno, Boise and Washington. They need a lot of style points. They have virtually no style points right now. It's not their weak schedule so much as how they've looked against their schedule. That's a distinct difference, IMO.

Hawaii isn't the most aggressive scheduler, but at least one of their 1-AA games this year was due to a BCS team wimping out on them.
Well, we all have our limits; my SOS limit is just stronger than yours. SOS matters.

This argument can go on forever and get redundant & boring. At the end of the day all of us agree that a playoff would be best, and stop all this stupid arguing. It gets to the point where we care more about college football's system than about college football itself.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #40
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
A) Yes
B) Yes

Hawaii looked amazing against San Jose State. Many national championship quests have died on that Spartans home turf, but Hawaii dominated an otherwise high calibre foe.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote