cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #21
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Wow, very interesting. What do these companies have against America? I'm sure the market here is huge for that kind of technology.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #22
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
First, The Hives' Two Timing Touch and broken Bones....love that tune.

second, I follow telecom with great interest and get a big kick out of those here in the US that talk about our 3G networks....as though they existed and were fully operational. what a joke. Europe and Asia are light years ahead of us in terms of technology.
Yeah, SonyEricsson and Skype (another Swedish Tech application) are colluding right now to create a Skype Cell Phone. Imagine having a 3G phone with unlimited Skype access. Sweden stopped counting minute traffic before we moved. There were flat rate plans which meant unlimited usage both calls, SMS, picture messaging as well. Basic Internet usage was also part of the plan. Premium channels such as music databases, video programming etc were still a premium cost, but well worth it given the rates.

Yeah I was so angry when I tried to get our phones hooked up to the only so called 3G network available (cingular/AT&T) half of my phones functionality went down the toilet. And the cost per month is outrageous for what you get.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss View Post
Yeah, SonyEricsson and Skype (another Swedish Tech application) are colluding right now to create a Skype Cell Phone. Imagine having a 3G phone with unlimited Skype access. Sweden stopped counting minute traffic before we moved. There were flat rate plans which meant unlimited usage both calls, SMS, picture messaging as well. Basic Internet usage was also part of the plan. Premium channels such as music databases, video programming etc were still a premium cost, but well worth it given the rates.

Yeah I was so angry when I tried to get our phones hooked up to the only so called 3G network available (cingular/AT&T) half of my phones functionality went down the toilet. And the cost per month is outrageous for what you get.
That's what happens when you elect a president who then allows the communication corporations to own the FCC.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #24
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
That's what happens when you elect a president who then allows the communication corporations to own the FCC.
I knew it was Bush's fault!

I knew it!

Life is so much simpler when every answer is, "Bush's fault."
Old 10-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #25
DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Wow, very interesting. What do these companies have against America? I'm sure the market here is huge for that kind of technology.
They have nothing against America. They are waiting for the US to pull its collective head out of his rear end and establish reliable network tech that can handle the phones. If the US would stop screwing around with the desire to milk their customers for all they can while inching towards where they need to be, they could have been on par with Sweden, Finland and Asia long ago.

I can ask a few friends who work in R&D at SonyEricsson to find out where the bottle neck is, if there is an opening for TRE to jump into the US market. I doubt it since this pissing contest between the existing wireless companies resembles the Comcast vs. satellites battle for the mtn.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Welcome DJ. Great to have you here.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #27
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
They have nothing against America. They are waiting for the US to pull its collective head out of his rear end and establish reliable network tech that can handle the phones. If the US would stop screwing around with the desire to milk their customers for all they can while inching towards where they need to be, they could have been on par with Sweden, Finland and Asia long ago.

I can ask a few friends who work in R&D at SonyEricsson to find out where the bottle neck is, if there is an opening for TRE to jump into the US market. I doubt it since this pissing contest between the existing wireless companies resembles the Comcast vs. satellites battle for the mtn.
Boy, that sucks. I'm a technology addict and it makes me sad to see how behind we are here.

Thanks for shattering the illusion, DJ.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It pisses me off that I bought a smart phone, and it costs an extra $30 / month to get internet.

With my old cheap phone I could pay $5 to get just my email (not full internet). No such option with my smart phone.

$30 is way too much for a data plan. It's ridiculous.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 PM   #29
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

That will not happen for a LONG time. The cost to outfit towers for 3G is prohibitive right now. besides, since the US, as a whole, in unaware what a real 3G network is, they are happy paying premiums for connection speeds that EVDO and EDGE offer.

I dont mind not being able to watch TV on my phone, as I dont care about that. but i do get a kick out of folks who think we have the true 3G capabilities that exist elsewhere.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #30
DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I knew it was Bush's fault!

I knew it!

Life is so much simpler when every answer is, "Bush's fault."

Actually it is my fault me and Saddam Hussein.

I tend to be generous in cutting Bush quite a lot of slack regarding how things have been managed, but as a business man, I have to say that GW's track record in the private sector prior to being elected Governor was not good. He did not at that time possess the ability to run a business successfully.

If you are going to sit in the drivers seat of America, you need to have business acumen and leadership skills. This is what drives the US Bus. Without those abilities you cannot lead by example.

Romney has at least this going for him. He realizes that the US is falling behind where it counts, and he not only wants to compete, he wants to get the US back on top. So do I, which is why I do what I do for a living. I am tired of richest country in the world acting like it is a trailer trash wife looking for coupon deals for breakfast candy at Walmart. We need to get back to leading by our example which should be one of progress.