cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 02:05 AM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I'm curious as to why you're so confident in your assessment of what the A&M coach would do. Do you subscribe to his insider letter?
I use A&M as an example because they have a terrible offense. They would probably want to finally bring in a OC who knows that mysterious technique called "the pass".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:16 AM   #32
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No one is worried about Anae eing offered a HC job. That tells you all you need to know.
I love ya, Mike, but sometimes your negativism takes on a degree of absurdity. This is one of those cases. Yeah, let's all go slit our wrists because Anae is not being offered any HC jobs. Sigh.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:34 AM   #33
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I love ya, Mike, but sometimes your negativism takes on a degree of absurdity. This is one of those cases. Yeah, let's all go slit our wrists because Anae is not being offered any HC jobs. Sigh.
The funny part is that I have read threads on both the Ute board and the MWC board about Anae and that he has got to be on many ADs short list for HC. They know no more than us whether he is that well respected or not, but opposing fans seem to have a very different perception than Mikey.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:39 AM   #34
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
The funny part is that I have read threads on both the Ute board and the MWC board about Anae and that he has got to be on many ADs short list for HC. They know no more than us whether he is that well respected or not, but opposing fans seem to have a very different perception than Mikey.
I think Anae is doing a respectable job. He seems to have adjusted to tailor his offense to the players he has.

Of course, sometimes it would be best if other schools don't want to poach one of your coaches. I'd still have preferred that Meyer not have been wanted.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:26 AM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I wonder if I have hit a wall or something. BYU is having a pretty good season. And I'm not sure I even want to watch the next game.

My pattern over my lifetime has been decreasing interest in following sports on TV. I used to watch Braves games religiously in high school. I used to be die-hard for the Cowboys. I used to watch all the Rockets games I could.

It's inevitable that one day BYU will have a terrible season and I will just take up a new hobby. Maybe I'll start hunting.

I've been to the parties with caviar. And now I know that BYU's parties are casserole in the multipurpose.. Something drastic needs to happen, and sadly almost no one shares the urgency. They seem to think that the status quo can exist indefinitely.

In this run of games on the mtn, there will be fans that tune out, never to tune in again.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:47 AM   #36
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I wonder if I have hit a wall or something. BYU is having a pretty good season. And I'm not sure I even want to watch the next game.

My pattern over my lifetime has been decreasing interest in following sports on TV. I used to watch Braves games religiously in high school. I used to be die-hard for the Cowboys. I used to watch all the Rockets games I could.

It's inevitable that one day BYU will have a terrible season and I will just take up a new hobby. Maybe I'll start hunting.

I've been to the parties with caviar. And now I know that BYU's parties are casserole in the multipurpose.. Something drastic needs to happen, and sadly almost no one shares the urgency. They seem to think that the status quo can exist indefinitely.

In this run of games on the mtn, there will be fans that tune out, never to tune in again.
I'd rather have casserole than rotten fish eggs that can't even be used for bait.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:55 AM   #37
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Are you forgetting that we, in all probablity, ought to win out or lose one more and go 10-2 or 9-3? Even if some of the wins are less satisfying than they ought to be winning will rebuild and reinvigorate our fanbase. You must know that you are pretty near alone in being disgusted with the prospect of a 9-10 win season, especially in light of breaking in all new skill position players.

Besides what we are all waiting for is next year and the year after, when we have highly experienced talented skill position players all over the field. I don't see our fan base declining much in that context no matter how bad our TV deal is (and it is terrible).

As for Anae, I would not expect him to be getting HC offers after 3 years of work as an OC. For heavens sake even Major Applewhite didn't get HC offers after lighting it up at Rice and took a job as a co-offensive Coordinator at Bama, and he is Texas royalty (as you well know).
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:15 AM   #38
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Back away from the ledge...

I am actually more optimistic now than I have been in years. The recent changes to the BCS system make it almost inevitable that a non-BCS school will crash the BCS party every single year. I see no reason why BYU can't consistently be that team. This is a rebuilding year, and BYU stands an excellent chance of going 10-2. If they can do that in a rebuilding year, what about next year? They have a superb chance of finishing the season in the top 15 (like last year). You do that 2 years in a row, and you get some attention next year (and you continue getting that attention for some time thereafter, like the U this year).

BYU is on the right path. They are playing some solid football. More importantly, they are winning games even when they execute somewhat poorly because they have a lot of talent on the team. Of all the years to be negative, this is not the one I would have picked.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #39
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No one is worried about Anae eing offered a HC job. That tells you all you need to know.
It is because he is Poly. Name a Poly D1 head coach. If Norm Chow couldn't get a job, why should Anae?
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #40
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If BYU is at a historic high, and it is this boring and inconsequential, that does not bode well.