cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Was I extolling Patterson last year? I don't remember.

But if I did, it would be accurate. Patterson has beaten some good teams in BCS conferences, not something that Bronco can claim.

I guarantee Patterson has more national cache than Bronco.

Just did a search:
http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/sho...ight=patterson
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2126509
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #32
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Was I extolling Patterson last year? I don't remember.

But if I did, it would be accurate. Patterson has beaten some good teams in BCS conferences, not something that Bronco can claim.

I guarantee Patterson has more national cache than Bronco.

Just did a search:
http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/sho...ight=patterson
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2126509
Right now you might be right but I think it is a lot closer than your realize. The only reason IMO it is this way is because Patterson had a 5 year head start on Bronco. Who do you think will have more national cache in 5 years?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Right now you might be right but I think it is a lot closer than your realize. The only reason IMO it is this way is because Patterson had a 5 year head start on Bronco. Who do you think will have more national cache in 5 years?
Patterson, because he will be at a BCS school and will be on national and regional TV.

As the non-BCS schools continue to fade away into oblivion, they will act as shackles and weights on Bronco, as he toils in obscurity.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #34
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Patterson, because he will be at a BCS school and will be on national and regional TV.

As the non-BCS schools continue to fade away into oblivion, they will act as shackles and weights on Bronco, as he toils in obscurity.
Maybe this is wishful thinking. I think the school and church would like the national stage a BYU football team can provide. The church is growing. You're not going to keep everyone in the fold the old fashion way.

There has to be more appeal to the church for non-members and members alike beyond a bunch (not meant disrespectfully) of old men sitting in cool chairs back in Salt Lake City.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #35
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We are a BCS-calibre program in a non-BCS conference. We should dominate.

If you look at the Sears Cup standings we are at 26th, the only non-BCS school in the top 50.
It's been quite a while since we lost a conference game. That is domination. I don't think domination has to mean you win every game 99-0.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #36
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We are a BCS-calibre program in a non-BCS conference. We should dominate.

If you look at the Sears Cup standings we are at 26th, the only non-BCS school in the top 50.
Most programs in all D1 conferences are BCS programs ... let's be real here. There are a few teams that stand above the rest, 5-6, but the rest of college football IS BCS caliber.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Most programs in all D1 conferences are BCS programs ... let's be real here. There are a few teams that stand above the rest, 5-6, but the rest of college football IS BCS caliber.
I don't know what you mean. Do you think Wyoming is a BCS caliber program?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #38
Goatnapper'96

Quote:

He ain't that good. If he takes a BCS gig he will be exposed as mediocre and drift away into oblivion. Who has more national cache, Wake Forest's coach or Chris Peterson at BSU?

Don't forget Wake just won its first ever ACC championship.

There are the genuine power teams and then there are the nobodies, I don't see Patterson getting hired at a genuine BCS power. He should have struck when he had the chance after the 2005 season, he is now too late and TCU will drift farther and farther into mediocrity.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
He ain't that good. If he takes a BCS gig he will be exposed as mediocre and drift away into oblivion. Who has more national cache, Wake Forest's coach or Chris Peterson at BSU?

Don't forget Wake just won its first ever ACC championship.

There are the genuine power teams and then there are the nobodies, I don't see Patterson getting hired at a genuine BCS power. He should have struck when he had the chance after the 2005 season, he is now too late and TCU will drift farther and farther into mediocrity.
Patterson has done a great job.

Look at what TCU faced after the SWC folded. Look at all the non UT and A&M Texas schools. Only Texas Tech has had success besides TCU. Houston, Rice, Baylor, SMU.

Not as much institutional support as BYU. By far. Inconsistent conference affiliation with no naturual rivalries.

Patterson has it MUCH HARDER than Bronco at BYU. Bronco gets the same recruits no matter what, just by virtue of BYU. BYU has tradition and 60k in the stands.

Bronco has not over-performed. Patterson has.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #40
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Patterson has done a great job.

Look at what TCU faced after the SWC folded. Look at all the non UT and A&M Texas schools. Only Texas Tech has had success besides TCU. Houston, Rice, Baylor, SMU.

Not as much institutional support as BYU. By far. Inconsistent conference affiliation with no naturual rivalries.

Patterson has it MUCH HARDER than Bronco at BYU. Bronco gets the same recruits no matter what, just by virtue of BYU. BYU has tradition and 60k in the stands.

Bronco has not over-performed. Patterson has.

Patterson took advantage of a conference, or perhap conferences, that was even worse than the MWC. I know he beat a bad Oklahoma team, has TCU ever beaten a team under Paterson that finished ranked other than CSU in 2000 I think it was?

I think he is a solid coach, but before we continue on with what he did he inherited a decent program from Franchione. I can't recall if he inherited LT or not. Regardless, he did not bring TCU up from the ashes.

Perhaps institutional support might be more at BYU but so is institutional meddling, unless it is well managed and/or run off. A HC at BYU has to deal with a hell of a lot more than a HC at TCU. I don't even think it is a comparison.

Finally, I like BYU's recruiting base for many positions. However, it is unquestionable that TCU should recruit far better skill players even with Texas and aTm left overs. BYU cannot win games with the best LDS cornerbacks even if their OL has 2-3 future NFL players.

I think the longer Patterson stays at TCU the less national cache he has. He now has to deal with BYU year in and year out. This ain't conference USA or the post Mtn West WAC.

Finally, head to head......Patterson beat Bronco once but more because of attrition than coaching. There was no excuse for Patterson to lose that game to BYU last year with all the advantages TCU had.