cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are we seeing Charlie Weiss phenomenon at BYU?
Yes 5 13.89%
No 18 50.00%
I don't know; maybe; too early to tell 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #31
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
beating a better team with sheer hook, crook, desire and gumption.
Quite frankly I hope we don't have to look to beating better teams with sheer hook, crook, desire and gumption. While it may be fun to point out a win like that, they happen rarely for anyone.

BYU didn't need sheer hook, crook, desire and gumption to beat Az., BC, UCLA or Tulsa. Those teams weren't necessarily better teams, they just played better and won.

All we need to do is upgrade our talent a bit and we will be fine.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I guess Boise St. has a greater signature victory than BYU. And that is kind of sad.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #33
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, I guess Boise St. has a greater signature victory than BYU. And that is kind of sad.
Boise was better than Oklahoma. Under this definition of "signature" a better example would be UTEP. I also think Miami finished 1990 ever bit as good a team as Oklahoma did last year, unless of course you are using BSU's throttling of the mighty U of U........

The point is that BYU might have had games that at the time appeared like an upset, but once the dust settles from the entire season and the game is placed in proper context, BYU usually beat a team it was better than. That is really not so offensive to me.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #34
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Boise was better than Oklahoma. Under this definition of "signature" a better example would be UTEP. I also think Miami finished 1990 ever bit as good a team as Oklahoma did last year, unless of course you are using BSU's throttling of the mighty U of U........

The point is that BYU might have had games that at the time appeared like an upset, but once the dust settles from the entire season and the game is placed in proper context, BYU usually beat a team it was better than. That is really not so offensive to me.
I'm really tired of losing to all these teams in non-conference. Boston College. Arizona. UCLA. etc. It wears on me. I don't get very excited about beating the scrubs in the MWC that no one cares about, with 20k fans in the stands.

We talk big, but seem to come up short almost every time. I'm tired of losing bowl games. I'm tired of being disgusted (Motor City Bowl). I'm tired of being ashamed. That's the promise of Bronco. That he will change all that. I'm hopeful, but I'm still waiting.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #35
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm really tired of losing to all these teams in non-conference. Boston College. Arizona. UCLA. etc. It wears on me. I don't get very excited about beating the scrubs in the MWC that no one cares about, with 20k fans in the stands.

We talk big, but seem to come up short almost every time. I'm tired of losing bowl games. I'm tired of being disgusted (Motor City Bowl). I'm tired of being ashamed. That's the promise of Bronco. That he will change all that. I'm hopeful, but I'm still waiting.
IMHO, Bronco only has one bummer loss. 3 years into the program doing it his way, that is acceptable to me.

He doesn't have many signature wins either. That is why I have backed off of my love affair with Bronco mania just a little bit.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
IMHO, Bronco only has one bummer loss. 3 years into the program doing it his way, that is acceptable to me.

He doesn't have many signature wins either. That is why I have backed off of my love affair with Bronco mania just a little bit.
no palms on the floor, just staring into the stall at this point?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #37
Goatnapper'96

Quote:

I thought TCU was a far better team than either BC or U of A last year. I think you bitch too much about the whole thing. If last year did not make you happy you never will be. That is as good as it gets at BYU. There are serious limitations for a division 1-A team with no recruiting base for any athleticism and serious religious/moral expectations of its students.

I don't understand how you could think Bronco has not delivered on his promises so far. So I hope he doesn't shame you much more.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #38
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't understand how you could think Bronco has not delivered on his promises so far. So I hope he doesn't shame you much more.
Well, two games, UCLA and Tulsa remind me that Bronco has a ways to go.

This reminds of Lou Holtz.

He stated when he first came to ND, he was told to win. The first season, they went 8 and 4. He was told, "you don't understand coach, you're supposed to win."

So next season, they go 10 and 2 and he thought he would be commended. "You don't understand coach, we wanted you to win."

Next season, ND goes undefeated and wins the national championship, so he thought they would finally be satisfied, "Coach, do it again."

Bronco, do it again.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #39
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Well, two games, UCLA and Tulsa remind me that Bronco has a ways to go.

This reminds of Lou Holtz.

He stated when he first came to ND, he was told to win. The first season, they went 8 and 4. He was told, "you don't understand coach, you're supposed to win."

So next season, they go 10 and 2 and he thought he would be commended. "You don't understand coach, we wanted you to win."

Next season, ND goes undefeated and wins the national championship, so he thought they would finally be satisfied, "Coach, do it again."

Bronco, do it again.

I bet he will do it again, but I think anyone expecting him to do it every year is setting themselves up for emotional suicide.

BYU is what it is.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #40
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I bet he will do it again, but I think anyone expecting him to do it every year is setting themselves up for emotional suicide.

BYU is what it is.
Losing to UCLA is almost a rite of passage, but losing to Tulsa is an insult.