cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #61
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Northern Iowa is a nightmare game in that they could pull an App State on us. If we win, nobody care.

Again, if we lose, then we're not as good as we believe any way.
Are we really going to fret about how tough a game Northern Iowa is? If that's the case, then we need to schedule down even MORE, not LESS.

C'mon. Playing Northern Iowa just means the spread is 21 points instead of 31.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #62
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Are we really going to fret about how tough a game Northern Iowa is? If that's the case, then we need to schedule down even MORE, not LESS.

C'mon. Playing Northern Iowa just means the spread is 21 points instead of 31.
My point is, I'm not watching BYU for a competitive game, unless it's against Michigan or Texas. If it's against Northern Iowa, anything other than a blowout is unacceptable.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #63
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Northern Iowa is a nightmare game in that they could pull an App State on us. If we win, nobody care.

Again, if we lose, then we're not as good as we believe any way.
Its benefit is that it allows the team to ease into the season and get to a road game with a PAC 10 team with a chance to get the early-season jitters out, polish up the execution, and build a little momentum.

If we win, we stay ranked where we are (and move up, if a few teams right above us lose.

I say it's a no lose. We should win, and we will win. If we lose, we have no business ranked in the top 25, anyway, and likely won't win out the rest of the season. If we stumble a little and it's closer than it should be, better to stumble in a win than stumble and lose. Isn't the most improvement from the first game to the second game, anyway?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #64
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If we lose, you will see gnashing of teeth that will make unhappiness in Crowton's era look like childplay. The specter of another Las Vegas Bowl or a first-time in the New Mexico bowl will not sit well with fans.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #65
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If we lose, you will see gnashing of teeth that will make unhappiness in Crowton's era look like childplay. The specter of another Las Vegas Bowl or a first-time in the New Mexico bowl will not sit well with fans.
If we lose, exUte will arise like a Phoenix from the ashes.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #66
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The same gnashing of teeth would happen with a loss to Washington, which is far more likely.

Considering that UNI should help the team be more ready for Washington, I think it's a good move.

Besides, if we lose to UNI, what makes you think we'd win all the rest of the games?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote