cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why does something having a primarily

genetic component necessarily convey the sentiment attaching a sense of entitlement for legal protection by virtue of that genetic condition?

The linkage doesn't necessarily follow in my mind.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

The idea is that if it's genetic, then discriminating against gays is as bad as discriminating against non-whites, women, cripples, ugly people, or anybody else that can't help what they are. There actually is some indication that there is a genetic component to homosexuality, but I don't think it matters whether it's nature or nurture. Discriminating against someone on the basis of sexual orientation is just unenlightened thinking.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
The idea is that if it's genetic, then discriminating against gays is as bad as discriminating against non-whites, women, cripples, ugly people, or anybody else that can't help what they are. There actually is some indication that there is a genetic component to homosexuality, but I don't think it matters whether it's nature or nurture. Discriminating against someone on the basis of sexual orientation is just unenlightened thinking.
Why? Because progressives say so?

I'm not a big rights guy and telling that a French philosopher decided it be so, and to be like him, we must join him isn't overly persuasive to me.

Why does the field of expanding the protected group under 1983 benefit us?

Color? People were made slaves on that basis. Not good. A child can see that.

Gender? Yes, this makes sense.

Creed? Lots of rampant horrible stuff on that basis, so it will stop a lot of bloodshed.

Then we get age.

Short people. Fat people. Tall skinny people. Midgets.

Sexual orientation.

When does the segmentation of society stop? An argument that 'you gotta do it to be on the in crowd" doesn't really work for me. People should follow me, not vice versa.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-28-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why? Because progressives say so?

When does the segmentation of society stop? An argument that 'you gotta do it to be on the in crowd" doesn't really work for me. People should follow me, not vice versa.
There is validity to woot's distinction. But, Arch asks a salient question, where does it end?

The slope gets mighty slippery when the law is employed mandating behavior and establishing legal consequences. More laws, more compliance with the concomitant regulatory rules and more morality cops enforcing these laws cannot be a good thing.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Is it possible that the main distinction in the gay marriage argument is not whether discrimination should exist, but exactly what defines discrimination?

I'm on the fence on the gay marriage issue, but it seems logical to me that saying marriage is something to be limited to a man-woman coupling isn't discrimination, so long as it doesn't provide benefits not afforded to same-sex couplings.

If that makes any sense at all...
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Who says being gay is "primarily" genetic?

Genetic + in utero conditions + birth order + early formative experiences

If this all is true, not much of it involves any choice. Yet it isn't necessarily "primary genetic".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

All they want is equal treatment. They don't want special status. It's heterosexuals who want special status. Why is this so hard? They want the right to marry like you have. They want no more, no less than you have.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote