cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default World Cup

Is it just me, or does the World Cup make our sports seem like silly exercises in comparison?

Like preening birds, full of flash and color, but lacking any grit.

IT'S THE WORLD CUP DAMMIT, I DON'T CARE ABOUT KOBE AND THE CELTICS! THE MOST IMPORTANT SPORTS COMPETITION IN THE WORLD IS ON, AND I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR NBA BULL-CRAP!!!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Is it just me, or does the World Cup make our sports seem like silly exercises in comparison?

Like preening birds, full of flash and color, but lacking any grit.

IT'S THE WORLD CUP DAMMIT, I DON'T CARE ABOUT KOBE AND THE CELTICS! THE MOST IMPORTANT SPORTS COMPETITION IN THE WORLD IS ON, AND I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR NBA BULL-CRAP!!!
The international flavor of World Cup, the contrast in styles and in passion, makes a local event, such as the NBA finals seem meaningless.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Soccer, a game for every nation.

Basketball--a game for giant freaks.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Archaea

soccer is also the game for the poor of all nations, whereas bball is for the poor of only our nation.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

If America is the most hated country in the world, I wonder how people would react to them winning the Cup. Especially tourists in say, Algeria, the day after USA eliminates them.

There are stark contrasts regarding the level of emotion that some citizens display. Sometimes, players who commit in-game blunders are murdered upon returning home. Meanwhile, to wealthier nations like England, "soccer" is treated like a gentlemen's game, with a great deal of sportsmanship and class. You won't hear the English talking smack about others. In fact, David Beckham had a rude awakening during his first few road games with the L.A. Galaxy; he couldn't belied the trash that was being shouted at him regarding his mother and wife.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
Archaea

I'm aware of the single example of the Columbian soccer player who was shot after he flopped in the US in 94. Are there others?

Of course, people got shot frequently in Columbia, so that shouldn't come as a surprise.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Wow! Switzerland defeats Spain. It was only Spain's second loss in three years; the other coming against USA in the semis of last summer's Confederation Cup.

It also concludes the opening games in the group stage. In these first 16 games, Germany certainly looked the strongest. Amongst the so-called power teams, Brazil, Italy, and England looked less impressive than expected.

Has parity improved? Four years ago, Argentina won its group game 8-0 and there were no shortage of blowouts, but this year only one game has been decided by 4 goals, and only two others by 2 goals. Teams played verrrrrrrry conservatively. Hopefully, these game twos over the next five days will have more risks. A game two win (and its 3 points) will put any team in the crucial top half of their group.

South Africa is up next. From a FIFA rankings standpoint, they are the worst team to ever play in the Cup; it will be interesting to see if they can ride the momentum of their draw vs Mexico and the home crowd to an upset.

BTW, a Slovenia midfielder guaranteed victory against USA on Friday.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Wow! Switzerland defeats Spain. It was only Spain's second loss in three years; the other coming against USA in the semis of last summer's Confederation Cup.

It also concludes the opening games in the group stage. In these first 16 games, Germany certainly looked the strongest. Amongst the so-called power teams, Brazil, Italy, and England looked less impressive than expected.

Has parity improved? Four years ago, Argentina won its group game 8-0 and there were no shortage of blowouts, but this year only one game has been decided by 4 goals, and only two others by 2 goals. Teams played verrrrrrrry conservatively. Hopefully, these game twos over the next five days will have more risks. A game two win (and its 3 points) will put any team in the crucial top half of their group.

South Africa is up next. From a FIFA rankings standpoint, they are the worst team to ever play in the Cup; it will be interesting to see if they can ride the momentum of their draw vs Mexico and the home crowd to an upset.

BTW, a Slovenia midfielder guaranteed victory against USA on Friday.
And the Slovenia game is a must win. We can't afford a tie, as then it might come down to GD to get out group play.

Spain might not make it out of group.

Let's say Switzerland defeats Honduras, possible, that means Switzerland is through and in.

If Chile ties Spain and defeats Switzerland, it's in and Spain is out.

US could get screwed if it only ties Slovenia. A must win.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Slovenia got hot at the right time. They may only be ranked thirtysomething, but those rankings go back four years. They freaking beat Russia last December to make the cut. Russia may be #11 in the world but they're sitting at home. In fact when the UEFA began, Slovenia was in the fourth pot of teams out of six, for the draw. They held their own against the likes of the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland in order to even get the chance to face Russia, giving up only four freaking goals in ten games.

The last thing USA wants is a 0-0 draw; Slovenia already has 3 points from beating Algeria.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Slovenia got hot at the right time. They may only be ranked thirtysomething, but those rankings go back four years. They freaking beat Russia last December to make the cut. Russia may be #11 in the world but they're sitting at home. In fact when the UEFA began, Slovenia was in the fourth pot of teams out of six, for the draw. They held their own against the likes of the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland in order to even get the chance to face Russia, giving up only four freaking goals in ten games.

The last thing USA wants is a 0-0 draw; Slovenia already has 3 points from beating Algeria.
I see US as not making it out of the draw potentially, as I'm very concerned Slovenia will play for a draw.