cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default Schools to track kids online.

If the new Protecting Children in the 21st Century Act makes any progress, schools and libraries that receive federal funding will be required to block all social-networking sites to minors, and will be required to track minors while online.

Do most parents support this kind of stuff? I can never tell when the librarian is getting the best of me.

This Act is also known as DOPA jr, because it looks an awful lot like a new version of the Deleting Online Predators Act from last year.

http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/lea...n_dopa_jr.html
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
If the new Protecting Children in the 21st Century Act makes any progress, schools and libraries that receive federal funding will be required to block all social-networking sites to minors, and will be required to track minors while online.

Do most parents support this kind of stuff? I can never tell when the librarian is getting the best of me.

This Act is also known as DOPA jr, because it looks an awful lot like a new version of the Deleting Online Predators Act from last year.

http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/lea...n_dopa_jr.html
I fully support this.

Kids have too much freedom at school already. At home, the child to adult ratio is much smaller and they don't have unsupervised, unmonitored access to friends, internet, TV, whatever.

Increasing the level of supervision and monitoring at school and blocking potentially harmful things is only a good thing, IMHO.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote