cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I hometeach a single member

In his 30s. Never married, would like to be married. Slim pickings in our ward, and what little there is, he attempted and failed.

He tells me that our Bishop has suggested he marry a non-member. presumably bring her into the church.

I thought that was pretty awesome. I expected he would say the opposite, but he's very practically minded.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
In his 30s. Never married, would like to be married. Slim pickings in our ward, and what little there is, he attempted and failed.

He tells me that our Bishop has suggested he marry a non-member. presumably bring her into the church.

I thought that was pretty awesome. I expected he would say the opposite, but he's very practically minded.
The bishop in the 30+ ward here has advised the single sisters to start considering the option of marrying outside of the church. The men in the ward either refuse to date the sisters in the ward, are emotionally/mentally damaged, or are not temple worthy and not looking to be anytime in the forseeable future, or at least that's what he announced in Relief Society.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:

I have heard Bishops give this counsel before, particularly to women. I agree with you. I don't think this should be the general counsel of the Church, but in certain circumstances if someone has the opportunity to have a meaningful, happy relationship with someone when those opportunities are not present within the Church, I am all for it.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
The bishop in the 30+ ward here has advised the single sisters to start considering the option of marrying outside of the church. The men in the ward either refuse to date the sisters in the ward, are emotionally/mentally damaged, or are not temple worthy and not looking to be anytime in the forseeable future, or at least that's what he announced in Relief Society.
What would be awesome is if the Bishop made a list of those in the ward for whom it was ok, and the ones on the list had a few traits in common.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Assign him as a ward missionary. Have him go on splits when the elders have a suitable candidate. Let the flames of love begin.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What would be awesome is if the Bishop made a list of those in the ward for whom it was ok, and the ones on the list had a few traits in common.
Great. Do not Date lists, and Datable Lists. I'm afraid which list I would be placed upon.

We had a single guy, who was my friend. He had money, tried to remain active and usually did his calling. He wanted to date a cute single, nonLDS woman. An LDS woman who disliked my friend, took it upon herself to disabuse the woman of any desire to date him.

So Do-not-Date lists already exist I guess.

OTOH, we had a former sexual offender within the ward, who was excommunicated, rebaptized, and then became datable. He found some girl on the internet of LDS singles stuff, married her quickly, molested her daughter and went straight to jail.

He should have been on a do not date list.

Sometimes you end up on the Do Not Date list when you shouldn't and sometimes you don't when you should.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Great. Do not Date lists, and Datable Lists. I'm afraid which list I would be placed upon.
We might as well publish all the non-spoken lists that exist in wards. Post them next to the bishops offices. Think of the possibilities:

1. Candidates for next Bishop/RS President

2. Non-believers coming out of obligation

3. Part tithe payers claiming to be paid in full

4. Home/Visiting teachers making no visits in last ninety days
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

What would be awsome is a Mooney or Alexander the Great style marriage ceremony in LES. That would solve all the problems. Do it every four years. Match people up by comptuer bar codes. Why not? Already LDS are going around letting the prophet tell them how many earrings to wear.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote