cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #121
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I can't speak for others. But I don't feel that way. I actually got that connotation from Indy's post, and I was responding to the feeling I got from that which seemed like he was saying the "local" (read: different colored folks) can handle stake prez but nothing higher.
I was feeling the same way that Jay was feeling and exact opposite to what Tex portrayed. The whole argument on one side was how can you question that there aren't more nonwhites as GAs or apostles. These men have been prepared and that is the way it is and we shouldn't even wonder why there aren't more non-US GAs and apostles. Then, you hear that the only reason we are discussing it is as Lingo said 'it must be white guilt.'

Indy makes a terrific point and others have made it as well...the church is kind of stuck right now in that the turnover is so low among these leaders. But I truly believe over the next 10-15 years as the leadership turns over, the church will start calling nonUS men into these positions...this will only help the church in growth, understanding and yes, even PR.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #122
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
I was feeling the same way that Jay was feeling and exact opposite to what Tex portrayed. The whole argument on one side was how can you question that there aren't more nonwhites as GAs or apostles. These men have been prepared and that is the way it is and we shouldn't even wonder why there aren't more non-US GAs and apostles. Then, you hear that the only reason we are discussing it is as Lingo said 'it must be white guilt.'

Indy makes a terrific point and others have made it as well...the church is kind of stuck right now in that the turnover is so low among these leaders. But I truly believe over the next 10-15 years as the leadership turns over, the church will start calling nonUS men into these positions...this will only help the church in growth, understanding and yes, even PR.
Heh, fair enough. Maybe what it boils down to is me taking Arch about as serious as I take SU. Then I won't get worked up.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #123
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

As membership continues to rise worldwide, won't it continue to rise amongst the white Americans and Europeans?

Sure it makes sense that once there are 5x more members in Africa, that more African GA's would pop up on the scene. But during the same time, won't there be 5x more members in the US and Europe?

Unless membership growth in non-caucasian areas considerately outgain the caucasian, the pool of whities to select GA's out of will remain the majority.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #124
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Suppose the 13 million members currently break down like this:

11 million American & European caucasian
1 million Central and South America
1 million Africa, Asia, Aussie and Pacific Islander

20 years from now, say there are 65 million members. Presumably they will break down like this:

55 million American & European caucasian
5 million Central and South America
5 million Africa, Asia, Aussie and Pacific Islander

And it remains that 9 out of 10 GA's are whities.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #125
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
As membership continues to rise worldwide, won't it continue to rise amongst the white Americans and Europeans?

Sure it makes sense that once there are 5x more members in Africa, that more African GA's would pop up on the scene. But during the same time, won't there be 5x more members in the US and Europe?

Unless membership growth in non-caucasian areas considerately outgain the caucasian, the pool of whities to select GA's out of will remain the majority.

I think the dynamic here is that a GA probably takes 30 years to make.

Take the GA's of today and their average call date was probably 20 years ago.

That means that to be race neutral, the GA's of today should represent church membership of 50 years ago. And it might take 50 years for GA's to represent today's membership.

Certainly non-caucasian areas are growing faster than caucasian areas of the church, and have so for the last 50 years, so the gap will begin to close but it will take a while.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #126
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Suppose the 13 million members currently break down like this:

11 million American & European caucasian
1 million Central and South America
1 million Africa, Asia, Aussie and Pacific Islander

20 years from now, say there are 65 million members. Presumably they will break down like this:

55 million American & European caucasian
5 million Central and South America
5 million Africa, Asia, Aussie and Pacific Islander

And it remains that 9 out of 10 GA's are whities.
False assumptions. Growth rates will not remain constant in "White" America. For example, Church growth in California is stagnant and relative to the overall population there, at least among non-Latins, declining.

The growth rate outside North America will greatly outstrip North America, and indeed inside some countries such as Germany is declining due to housecleaning.

Currently membership outside US exceeds inside, and Latin America will soon match membership, numerically, inside US.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #127
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The conversion rate amongst whites sucks, to put it mildly, and other races are joining at a much faster rate.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote