cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #21
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
If I were an omnipotent being, I think i would be bored by humans.
Then why would you create them? Your whole line of thinking here is not logical.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If he does take an interest in our welfare, that would be cool. It just doesn't make sense to me why he would. If I were an omnipotent being, I think i would be bored by humans.
If humans were that boring why would he create them? Why not create something more interesting? If you're truly omnipotent, wouldn't you possess the power to create something interesting for yourself?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #23
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If he does take an interest in our welfare, that would be cool. It just doesn't make sense to me why he would. If I were an omnipotent being, I think i would be bored by humans.
NS, do you believe in a god? IF so, what are the contours of your belief?
Old 08-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #24
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
NS, do you believe in a god? IF so, what are the contours of your belief?
NS: I'm advising you to take the Fifth. Don't answer him.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If humans were that boring why would he create them? Why not create something more interesting? If you're truly omnipotent, wouldn't you possess the power to create something interesting for yourself?
maybe the earth is like a beehive. Get it started. Look in once in a while. Let it do it's own thing. harvest the honey out at the end of the season.

Sure he created it, but doesn't mean he's all over it 24/7.

Plenty of humans hate babies and puppies. These humans are after the image of the Father, right? Must mean there are all types up there.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #26
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
maybe the earth is like a beehive. Get it started. Look in once in a while. Let it do it's own thing. harvest the honey out at the end of the season.
Well, there's that and then showing up occasionally to make sure you're keeping the gay man down.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #27
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm sick of fighting with everyone here. I am just trying to help.

I have some friendly advice for you because I feel you're not just throwing out a thread starter and you're being sincere. If you are just starting a discussion I apologize and carry on.

Here's my advice: I'd stop wasting a second cluttering your head with such nonsense. Just block it out; erase these thoughts. The issue you raise has not the remotest connection to how life and the cosmos really work. I challenge you to look at the world in a completely different way. It will set you free.
SU I don't want to offend you (I say that sincerely), but I think this last paragraph is a bunch of crap. You sound so arrogant, like this "looking at the world in a different way" is a league of thought that only wise-men follow like yourself. I call B.S. I think everyone has the opportunity to look at the world differently, despite prior notions you have made to Mormons being blind sheep (that is not a quote). That is the wonderful thing about all of us being individuals, and making our own choices, we do get to look at the world how we want, WHEN we want to, and we get our own brain to think about it with.

I do believe that "sinners" can receive inspiration. Aren't we all sinners, and how can you really gauge worthiness? Haven't we already discussed in other threads thatg temple recommend interviews can seem totally bogus (though they are all we got). You can take a sip of alcohol and walk out stripped of a recommend, but have your judge-pants on 24-7 and you are still considered Peter-priesthood. *I certainly feel like "the wicked" might not be in the right frame of mind as much as another to hear and act upon inspiration but I think Heavenly Father has more mercy then you are all giving him credit for. Heavenly Father wants to reach out to us anyway He can and if there is even a small space for him to fit into, he wants that - even in a sinner's life. Very few people are banished from the use of the Atonement and from God's good graces and to me that includes being able to receive inspiration from the Spirit (see *). I don't feel like God can work through us when we turn our backs on Him, but if we are sinners and still open to receiving inspiration along with instinctual feelings, then I think He will always be there. Even I have fallen into that category before. Who hasn't? Man, God is good, isn't he?
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #28
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Well, there's that and then showing up occasionally to make sure you're keeping the gay man down.

Now that was pretty funny, actually.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #29
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

There is a scripture that says something like, "my ways are not your ways nor are my thoughts your thoughts, as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my way than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Just as I think it is not relevant to compare Gods feeling to us as we do say our parents feelings, I also think it is not relevant to compare how we would think if we were an imnipotent being and determine then how God thinks.

It comes down to belief and not scientific conclusion. My belief is God has an interest in our welfare, I can't prove it. I don't mean this in a combative way, but in reality I don't care if you believe it or not. In that way you now know I feel the same way about your welfare as you think God feels about your welfare.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #30
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
You sound so arrogant, like this "looking at the world in a different way" is a league of thought that only wise-men follow like yourself.
Don't take my word for it (please don't be distracted by the link's title; it's just handy source but the title is meaningless):

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/einstein.htm

I'm telling you that hundreds of millions of humans have been enriched beyond measure by this liberating perspective. My "religion" is the fastest growing ever.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote