cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #21
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I gave you an example in this thread.

But you didn't address why an 8 year old who had never attended church more than a month could be baptized without missionary discussions.
He would still need to be interviewed by the bishop. While the interview itself ma6y not be a searing examination, in general the bishop is likely to know about the 8 year old and ensure that sufficient instruction has taken place, at least that is what has happened in my experience.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #22
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I attended a child's baptism last weekend, and I was struck by how often people talked to the child about her "decision" to be baptized. I'm not saying they are forced, but it seems a bit odd to me to suggest that they are really making a meaningful decision there. I don't remember deciding anything about it.
I think you and some others here are vastly underestimating 8 year old kids.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #23
creekster

Quote:
The whole thing may or may not be coercive. Or is may or may not be informed (at least to some extent). I'm sure most kids who are raised in the church are genuinely excited--it's a milestone in their lives.

But most here seem to agree that it's not so much a "decision" they make, which begs the question I started with. Why were all the speakers saying that to this child: how great her decision, how important her decision, Heavenly Father is proud of her decision. What do people mean by that? It's good this is happening to you?
The notion of an informed deciison is a tricky one on this sort of issue. Looking back as a 40 year old no one would think they were capable of making a mature decions at 8. Of course, a 40 year old usually thinks they were completely lost at 18, too, even though when 18 the same person thought they knew exactly everyhting there was to know. How many here, for example, are rather confident that a 50 year old Waters will look back at his posts from 2006 and chuckle at what a knucklehead he was at times?

I am sure that the notion of accountability is important here. By 8, one is typically able to determine what is right or worng (I guess htis might mean effectively employ the light of Christ) and so the time for baptism is approrpiate. The percevied scope and import of the convenants asssumed by baptism will change over time as the person matures and learns and changes. Thje 8 year old chooses to be baptized in the important sense of choosing the right thing. Is it as informed as it could be if he waited until he was 20? not in some ways, but from his perspective it is and, on this issue, that is enough.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
He would still need to be interviewed by the bishop. While the interview itself ma6y not be a searing examination, in general the bishop is likely to know about the 8 year old and ensure that sufficient instruction has taken place, at least that is what has happened in my experience.
then why can't a bishop do this for a 9 year old?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #25
jay santos

Quote:
Take a step back, Mike. There has to be a policy on children of members who do not get baptized. At some point they have to be lumped in with the rest of the non-members. What is that age? Church defines it as 9. Is it a big deal?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #26
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I think you and some others here are vastly underestimating 8 year old kids.
do you have a special insight into the 8 year old mind that we lack? why would you think you understand it better than anyone else?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #27
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Take a step back, Mike. There has to be a policy on children of members who do not get baptized. At some point they have to be lumped in with the rest of the non-members. What is that age? Church defines it as 9. Is it a big deal?
When the missionaries have come over to our house to teach a discussion or share a spiritual thought, our kids have thought that was really cool. I'm not sure requiring missionaries to teach 9 year olds is all that onerous.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #28
creekster

Quote:
Like Jay said, it needs to be set somewhere.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #29
creekster

Quote:
do you have a special insight into the 8 year old mind that we lack? why would you think you understand it better than anyone else?
Do you think you understand it better than he does? WHat makes you think he is wrong? Isn't that a rather silly argument? I have raised three kids past the age of 8, so that give me some insight. What are your bona fides?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #30
jay santos

Quote:
The three i was referring to, you, MW, and DDD don't have kids that age. I have three that have passed that age and one close. So yeah I guess I do claim special insight. Adam's just trolling.

Kids from a very young age learn concepts of obedience, faith, repentance, personal responsibility, etc.

I totally reject Adam's comparison to eating veggies. Many (at least mine did, can't speak for all) have true beginnings of faith in Christ and testimony of the gospel. They understand what baptism is and why it is necessary and they make a concious decision to follow Christ by being baptized.

It's extremely patronizing and inaccurate to categorize an 8 yo's decision to get baptized as being forced to comply with their parents wishes.