cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas is on a distinguished road
Default Now that the LDS Church has raised the

bar?

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; 09-02-2010 at 03:30 PM.
InVinoVeritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

If they're doing their job properly, less missionaries are being sent home because they are filtering out the higher risk missionaries before they ever reach the MTC.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
bar, are more or less missionaries being sent home prematurely?

Also, does the Church's policy of disafellowship over excommunication for disavowed missionaries really keep them in the Church, or do they fall away anyway?
I wonder if anyone in leadership worries about an eventual class system in the church and how that will affect people.

Has anyone studied any of the older churches, say the Catholics and if a class sytem developed there and what happened.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I wonder if anyone in leadership worries about an eventual class system in the church and how that will affect people.

Has anyone studied any of the older churches, say the Catholics and if a class sytem developed there and what happened.
The class system arose over using heredity and/or money to obtain more influence in the church.

You think that's starting to happen in the LDS church?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Quote:
I definately think there is a class system in the Church. I don't think it is pronounced, but it is definately there.
Even in Boston?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I definately think there is a class system in the Church. I don't think it is pronounced, but it is definately there.
Sure there is a class system.

I've had 3 relatives (1st cousin once removed, great uncle, and great uncle) in the first presidency in the last 30 years. What are the chances of that if I'm not a Mormon aristocrat? Indy?
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Sure there is a class system.

I've had 3 relatives (1st cousin once removed, great uncle, and great uncle) in the first presidency in the last 30 years. What are the chances of that if I'm not a Mormon aristocrat? Indy?
Are you saying they unduly used their family ties to wield power?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
bar, are more or less missionaries being sent home prematurely?

Also, does the Church's policy of disafellowship over excommunication for disavowed missionaries really keep them in the Church, or do they fall away anyway?
I'm not sure about being sent home early but it seems like a lot of kids are coming home early for medical reasons. The most common one seems to be from anxiety attacks. If the kid is going to be freaking out for two years and have troubles I don't believe he should be out there but it sure seems a lot more prevalent then it was.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I'm not sure about being sent home early but it seems like a lot of kids are coming home early for medical reasons. The most common one seems to be from anxiety attacks. If the kid is going to be freaking out for two years and have troubles I don't believe he should be out there but it sure seems a lot more prevalent then it was.
Part of my mom's "job description" was to make sure that missionaries were taking their psychopharmaceuticals.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My experience is that alot more missionaries are being sent home early, sometimes for questionable reasons and the negative consequences to the missionary and his/her family are severe and lifelong. For good reason, I have strong feelings on this topic.

Let me give you a recent (April, 2007) example. I have a niece who was serving as a missionary in Guatemala. After serving for six months, she wanted to "clear the slate" and called her MP on the phone to schedule an interview during his upcoming visit for a zone conference. He advised her to discuss the problem on the phone. She confessed a single incidence of petting not disclosed to her Bishop or SP. Thirty minutes after the phone call, the MP called her back and said she was being sent home. No personal visit, no attempt to work with her in the field. She was an outstanding missionary and had recently baptized a family with six children.

After returning home in disgrace, she and her family were isolated and shunned by her ward. Her punishment at home was three months of informal probation. No counseling, no arms of fellowship, nothing. Yes, she made a mistake, but the punishment did not fit the crime.

Here is the what this mean spirited MP hath wrought: my niece is now attending UC Northridge and is ambivalent towards the Church. Her testimony of the gospel is strong, but she will forever be labeled as a failed missionary. Her parents are not so lucky. They are now separated and in the process of divorcing after a 42 year marriage and seven children. Plain and simple, they could not withstand the isolation and judgements that followed their daughter being sent home. Some may judge that their marriage did not have a strong foundation and the daughter being sent home was merely a tipping point. I think otherwise.

Raising the bar without the application of wisdom and forgiveness is a double edged sword. There was not a sin here worthy of either disfellowshipment or excommunication. Another example of the consequences of the misapplication of Church discipline. Unrighteous dominion is pure evil.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote